• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinovids Disappearing ? (1 Viewer)

jimtrader11

Hi folks,

I was looking around online camera stores including Cabela's Adorama, Eagle Optics, Amazon, etc for price comparisons on the Trinovid 10x32 and it appears that the larger Trinovids are not being stocked. All I see is the compact 8x20 and 10x25 versions. Everything else is Ultravid's which are out of my price range.
I found a NIB Trinovid 10x32 from a dealer on Ebay at about $999 but now suspect they may be closing them out.

Has Leica discontinued the larger Trinovids?
Jim

Yes, I'm afraid the larger than compact Trinovids haven't been made for a few years. The latest news, in fact, is that the standard Ultravids have also suffered the same fate, and only the Ultravid HD will be made now.

Such is life with the hot experimental platforms. A few new Trinovids are still available, but they are getting scarce. If the dealer seems reputable, better snap it up! You might even get the Passport warranty if you're lucky. Also, being bomb, bullet, meteorite and gamma ray proof, they are a good bet used.
Ron

Thanks for the information Ron. The dealer had good feedback and I went ahead and bought it. Its a shame Leica decided to reduce its product line and customer base.

Jim

Jim,
I'm not sure that it's a bad thing Leica keeps its product line narrow. That's just not Leica's style. They want to concentrate on the "one thing", and I think that attitude works well for them. Leica never makes, except for a very short time after a new line has been introduced, more than one line, which is always top notch. The Trinovid is older, but not a second line, as is the Zeiss Conquest or the Swarovski SLC.

The main, but slight, optical improvement since the Trinovid has been a few percent more light transmission. Some claim contrast is improved a tiny bit, but I can't see it. The newer models are also slimmer and lighter in weight.

But, in buying a Trinovid, you are not relegating yourself to a second line binocular, just a slightly older one. The mechanics, field of view, field correction, viewing comfort, ruggedness, color purity and image sharpness can hardly be improved upon, and haven't been. Yet, since dealers want to clear the old stock, you can get one at a bargain.

Congratulations, hope you enjoy it.
Ron

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the link. They do have some Trinovids listed although some are listed as low inventory. However, I already bought the one on Ebay.
Regards
Jim

cameralandny.com has the 8x42 for $1000.

I'd love to find a pair of 10x42 brand new, anyone know
of a store/website besides ebay????

Yes, I'm afraid the larger than compact Trinovids haven't been made for a few years. The latest news, in fact, is that the standard Ultravids have also suffered the same fate, and only the Ultravid HD will be made now.

Such is life with the hot experimental platforms. A few new Trinovids are still available, but they are getting scarce. If the dealer seems reputable, better snap it up! You might even get the Passport warranty if you're lucky. Also, being bomb, bullet, meteorite and gamma ray proof, they are a good bet used.
Ron

I completely agree! I recently bought a new (old stock) 8x50 BA Hunting Set which I am expecting to receive in the next few days. The trinovids feel far more rugged than the ultravids. If any body wants a 8x50 BN, I can tell you of a reputable camera shop in PA which still has one left.

cheers

Attachments

• Leica_8x50_BA.JPG
    Leica_8x50_BA.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 151
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back