• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Has Zeiss marked the Lotutec models from the beginning? (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
I found a 10x42 FL model offered with the claim it had Lotutec coating, and it also has a little pendant on its side saying so. But the "umbrella" over the number 42 is missing. So my question is whether Zeiss has not added that "umbrella" line from the beginning of the Lotutec addition?

I believe it should be there, Lotutec coatings were introduced in 2007. I am thinking the seller
is not accurate in his description. Zeiss service could help with a phone call, to verify the year of mfr.
from the ser. #.

The Victory FL series was introduced before that, in 2004 or 2005, so some do not have Lotutec coatings.

Jerry

Last edited:
I believe the umbrella was there from when Lotutec was introduced and it would be best to avoid this unit and this seller. If the seller is willing to misrepresent the Lotutec then you can't rely on any of the other information provided.

Lee

Last edited:
The only way is if the binocular has had new lenses fitted at some time.

All new FL lenses have LotuTec (i.e. non Lotutec lenses are no longer produced) so it could be could happen that a non LotuTec instrument was fitted with new (LotuTec) lenses for some reason but that the badge was not replaced to show this.

Gary.

My notes say that the "Victory FL" lettering near the hinge appeared in 2006 around (or even at) the time of the change to Lotutec; does the one you're looking at have that lettering?

Mine are 2009, and have that lettering, and the eyebrow indicating Lotutec.

My notes could be wrong, of course :)

I found a 10x42 FL model offered with the claim it had Lotutec coating, and it also has a little pendant on its side saying so. But the "umbrella" over the number 42 is missing. So my question is whether Zeiss has not added that "umbrella" line from the beginning of the Lotutec addition?

OK, here are the pertinent pictures from that offer.

Attachments

• Lotutec badge.jpg
    Lotutec badge.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 110
  • Lotutec badge but no umbrella 02.jpg
    Lotutec badge but no umbrella 02.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
My notes say that the "Victory FL" lettering near the hinge appeared in 2006 around (or even at) the time of the change to Lotutec; does the one you're looking at have that lettering?

…………...:)

Do you mean the lettering on the top of the rubber cover (opposite the blue Zeiss logo patch)? I got it on my non Lotutec model when the outside parts had to be replaced. The model I'm now looking at does not have that lettering. In fact, when I first got it on my own model, it irritated me so much that I carefully removed it with a sharp knife. The writing was exactly where I kept placing my finger tips and thus caused considerable irritation. Meanwhile, I found a way to get around the lettering, so I now leave it on when there is such a lettering.

Hi,

The "umbella" on the logo on the back of the binocular would be hard to change unless you have access to Zeiss part numbers and their spares department.

The "medallion" is a plastic disc on a bit of string - much easier to get hold of.

Gary.

Hi,

The "umbella" on the logo on the back of the binocular would be hard to change unless you have access to Zeiss part numbers and their spares department.

The "medallion" is a plastic disc on a bit of string - much easier to get hold of.

Gary.

Yes, I fully agree.

The pair in the photos also has the original thin squared-off eyecup design used in the very first FLs. I recall the eyecups being changed twice before the introduction of Lotutec; briefly to a thicker squared-off eyecup and then finally to a thick rounded design.

Henry

The only way to know for certain would be to ask Zeiss if that unit with that serial number had ever had new
Lotutec objectives fitted during a service or repair. Further questions that you've possibly considered could be, does it really matter? Does the price sought reflect this? Do you still want them?

It may well prove that Zeiss retrofitted with the newer coated objectives and attached a label to show such. I'm sure I recall seeing the label when I was retailing optics at that time. But it seems slightly odd to me to keep this medallion on and Henry 's point about the eyecup profile is another clue to their age.

Last edited:
Do you mean the lettering on the top of the rubber cover (opposite the blue Zeiss logo patch)? I got it on my non Lotutec model when the outside parts had to be replaced. The model I'm now looking at does not have that lettering. In fact, when I first got it on my own model, it irritated me so much that I carefully removed it with a sharp knife

! :)

Yes, that's what I meant, and that this model doesn't have it might suggest it's pre-Lotutec, given the lettering arrived around the same time, although the lack of umbrella is probably definitive.

Riddle solved

OK, here are the pertinent pictures from that offer.

OK, the model is definitely one without Lotutec. I had asked on eBay, and the fellow offering it apparently called Zeiss himself after my inquiry. So the model is now offered without the Lotutec designation.(Though only in a correcting remark at the end!) No idea why it comes with that medallion, though.

Last edited:
So it's a non lotutec (which I guessed from the missing arch, and the straight eyecups as some mentioned above).

If it helps, I have one and it sure is as good as any lotu tec version I have looked through. I would replace the eyecups with the newe rounded design though, so much more comfortable.

I would not be concerned about either one, but condition is very important, and so that is the
question. I suppose purchasing online examination is not possible.

If anything, tell the seller he should lower the price a bit, since he was off on his advertising.

I have purchased used optics, scratches on the lenses are important as you know. The lotutec may
help with being a protective layer besides offering water repellency.

Good luck, the Victory FL is a very good binocular.

Jerry

The first Lotu Tec models had the umbrella sign.

As with the T* & P* (OR P) These abbreviations / signage were removed once it became standard. So if the serial number is as per Gary H date, then it would be pre LT

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back