• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thinking of buying a bridge camera (1 Viewer)

If you worry about the price of memory cards then give a thought to the time when one had to pay for film. At least you get to reuse a memory card again and again (and not just with this camera), and possibly with other devices.

I would buy at least two, by the way - one might develop problems, they can fill up and you'll then have to decide what to delete. If you know how large the files are your camera computes you'll know how many pics you can put on a given card. But digital photography can be addictive, so you'll probably need more than you think now!

Andrea

I also recommend having more than one memory card:

firstly, i have had one 'crash' on me with loss of some images
secondly, get into the habit of putting one in when you take one out. there is nothing wirse than going out and realising that you left your card in the computer.
thirdly, i would recommend using them like a back-up - unless you are good at backing up your computer. when full date it and catalog it...

before you make your decision i saw a canon dslr with 70-300 lens for under 400euros the other day. ultimately a better choice... my progression was lumix fz28, lumix fz72 (sold on) canon d60...

If you will be shooting burst mode (several pictures per second) buy a fast card (ie expensive) especially if shooting RAW files.

Before you do that you need to look at what your camera can actually handle. There are no cameras bar the very top end US$8,000+ cameras from Nikon/Canon that can handle the latest just released, extremely fast, cards from Sandisk etc.

Probably the fastest write a bridge's cache can handle is 45mb/s though possibly 80mb/s. Check before you buy.

I've made my purchase...

Canon SX50 with 16GB fast memory card and some accessories. Arrives next week!

Thanks to all for your advice.

I went to the local camera store and tried out the canon SX50 and the new Olympus SP100EE. I purchased the SP100EE. The canon's view finder was sub par and not a option all all. The camera is showing its age. I bought the Olympus. The red dot sight is extremely useful and the view finder leagues above the SX50. Took the Olympus to a wildlife area. Greatly disappointed in the image quality compared to my Olympus EM5 and my Panasonic 100-300 lens. Additionally the Olympus shoots JPEG only. I took the camera back for a refund.

I'll sit on the fence till larger sensors for bridge cameras are offered. Sounds like 1" sensor might be here soon with mega zooms.

There are already 1" sensor cameras - the Nikon 1 series for instance. This gives you a factor of 2.7x instead of the 2x you get with the EM5, so your lens will give you 810mm

But megazooms get their 'reach' because of small sensors - the bigger the sensor the less the reach

There are already 1" sensor cameras - the Nikon 1 series for instance. This gives you a factor of 2.7x instead of the 2x you get with the EM5, so your lens will give you 810mm

But megazooms get their 'reach' because of small sensors - the bigger the sensor the less the reach

Yes, But either current 1" sensors are interchangeable lens cameras (Such as the above mentioned Nikon) or they lack extreme reach such as the Sony RX10 (24-200mm equivalent). The Sony looks like an awesome camera if only it went beyond 8X.

I have the FZ200 and am very happy with the camera, but the 24x zoom is simply not long enough on many occasions. To help counter this I have the camera set to give a 5mp picture which ups the zoom to 39x and frequently have the picture size set to 3mp, which give 47x. Both settings give pretty good results. On top of that I have a 1.7x teleconverter, which to be honest, isn't as good as the 5 and 3mp settings as far as quality goes, but does give extra reach when 47x isn't enough. The F2.8 lens is great and the camera has very good burst rates, which are also very important. Plus it has a fast AF and is very responsive.
Actually the FZ200 has an extra digital zoom that works even in RAW mode: the "intelligent zoom" (menu -> i.Resolution -> i.ZOOM).

It's a trick reducing your resolution, but it works very well. And the 2.8 aperture can really make a difference compared to the other "super-zooms".

I bought the FZ200 and I'm really happy with it.

How much better is an FZ200 than a FZ38?

I upgraded from the FZ38 to a Canon 7D + 400mm a couple of years ago but my current lifestyle does not allow specific photography trips so am seriously considering going back to a bridge

I've made my purchase...

Canon SX50 with 16GB fast memory card and some accessories. Arrives next week!

Thanks to all for your advice.

The SX50 is a great choice Andy, now forget all the pro's and cons and get out and enjoy the one you have: the perfect camera doesn't exist or there would only be one on the market!

I'm really enjoying it. Getting some great shots of birds and it just tucks under my arm in the pouch, so I don't have to sacrifice my 'scope. Good for other stuff as well, such as moths, flowers and family pics. No complaints.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back