• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa Demos at Eagle Optics (1 Viewer)

Are the 8.5x44 Kowa a good fit for eyeglasses wearers ? If I get them I don't want to fidget any to get a full non fatiguing view.

I posted this question elsewhere.. over 300 peeks and no responses… maybe I get something here….. Has anyone had any experience with Kowa (U.S.) service for binoculars?
Thanks,
Mike

I posted this question elsewhere.. over 300 peeks and no responses… maybe I get something here….. Has anyone had any experience with Kowa (U.S.) service for binoculars?
Thanks,
Mike

Sorry, I don't know what the situation is in the US. I believe Kowa had an, at best, patchy reputation for after sales support over here. I was told a couple of months ago that Kowa were aware of the problems and had ditched it's previous distribution and service structure in Europe and were intending to manage it themselves. In the interim it was being handled directly from Japan until a more local structure was in place. I suppose it's possible something similar is happening in the US.

David

A useful thread.

I regularly use an 8.5x and find the slight extra magnification useful at sunset. Currently using a Nikon and looking for a potential upgrade. In contention are the Vanguard Endeavour 8.5x45 ED as a budget ED option, the Bresser Montana 8.5x45, and perhaps the Kowa.

Could someone explain the difference between the current Kowa Genesis 44 8.5x44 Prominar XD, and the Kowa Prominar 8.5x44 XD ?

I've pictured both below. Thanks !

Last edited:
I think the above bins are BASICALLY the same binocular (?) Maybe just different generations... Past that I can't advise.

Kowa does have a new model out that is lighter and and generally has a larger field of view, but the only review I've seen said they were NOT up to Genesis standards and should not be viewed as a replacement for Genesis...

kowa-bd-xds.jpg

David

Last edited:
That isn't confidence inspiring.

Sorry, I don't know what the situation is in the US. I believe Kowa had an, at best, patchy reputation for after sales support over here. I was told a couple of months ago that Kowa were aware of the problems and had ditched it's previous distribution and service structure in Europe and were intending to manage it themselves. In the interim it was being handled directly from Japan until a more local structure was in place. I suppose it's possible something similar is happening in the US.

David

A useful thread.
Could someone explain the difference between the current Kowa Genesis 44 8.5x44 Prominar XD, and the Kowa Prominar 8.5x44 XD ?
I've pictured both below. Thanks !
There is no difference. Perhaps in some countries "Genesis" is a registered trademark and so they don't use it.
I have a Kowa Genesis 44 10.5x44 Prominar XD for a couple of years now and I think they are still unbeaten in their price class - especially for birding (outstanding contrast, high sharpness, no CA, neutral colors). Not to forget the filter thread at the objective end which takes standard 46mm photo filters!

Last edited:
These binoculars are quite a mystery. They are true Alpha, they are no better than the latest mid priced binoculars, they have no warranty, they have a short warranty, they have a lifetime warranty, they have 94% transmission, they have poor transmission, the edges are wonderful, the edges are bad. The only consensus seems to be the superb CA control. Are there huge sample variations in the Genesis line, or do people actually perceive optical traits in matched units in such a different way ? I've been told by several on here how much brighter and sharper the Zen ED2 is than the Minox BD BP. Anyone that believes that simply can't discern those properties. If the Genesis is anything like allbinos describes, they must be something really spectacular to look through.

I guess I'm one of those that thinks the Kowa is something special. If you think that means it should have the widest, flattest view and makes things whiter than white then you are going to be disappointed. On the other hand if you are looking for an exceptionally sharpness, exceptional contrast, exceptional CA control and first rate colour rendition then it might just excite you too. I just wish it was lighter.

David

David in NC, MFootjes, thanks both.

A lighter Genesis would be welcome, if not then I guess I'll just stick with an 8x56

Weight and Field of View are the only areas where this bino are lacking, I do believe. Even then, the balance is exceptional and the 7deg TFoV/59.5ishdeg AFoV are not bad in any way.

The warranty in the US is listed as a limited lifetime warranty with guaranteed parts availability of 10 years post-final production of that model. I think this is similar to those offered by Leica and Zeiss. I think EU warranties tend to differ, as I've read that you cannot warranty a product for >10yrs post-sale, but I'm not actually sure if this is the truth.

As a final note, I spent a lot of time speculating as to why these binos wouldn't be good enough but after having them in hands, I can safely say I had nothing to worry about as the few technical reviews available (e.g. Holger, Allbinos, Binomania) as well as the opinions of forum users here (e.g. typo, PhilR.) and elsewhere seem quite accurate.

Justin

Justin

Thanks for all of the great firsthand info on the Kowas.

Weight and Field of View are the only areas where this bino are lacking, I do believe. Even then, the balance is exceptional and the 7deg TFoV/59.5ishdeg AFoV are not bad in any way.

The warranty in the US is listed as a limited lifetime warranty with guaranteed parts availability of 10 years post-final production of that model. I think this is similar to those offered by Leica and Zeiss. I think EU warranties tend to differ, as I've read that you cannot warranty a product for >10yrs post-sale, but I'm not actually sure if this is the truth.

As a final note, I spent a lot of time speculating as to why these binos wouldn't be good enough but after having them in hands, I can safely say I had nothing to worry about as the few technical reviews available (e.g. Holger, Allbinos, Binomania) as well as the opinions of forum users here (e.g. typo, PhilR.) and elsewhere seem quite accurate.

Justin

I think I got their last pair of demo 8.5x44. I compared them side by side with my 8x32 Nikon EDG. The Kowa are brighter, resolution is more or less equal, the colors on the Kowa seem a little less warm and so might be more accurate? Given their price difference I am greatly impressed by the Kowas. Perfect fit and finish, and alpha class glass.

They aren't shown yet, but if you are looking for the 10.5X or 8.5X Genesis, I would give Eagle Optics a call.

Every time I pick up my 8.5x44 when wandering outside, I try my best to find a fault with them - maybe today they just won't seem as sharp, maybe I'll finally notice some glaring issues, maybe the control of CA wasn't what I hoped... but I just cant seem to induce any such issues. Even the somewhat narrower true field of view isn't bothersome as I thought it may be, due to the AFoV being very similar to many 8x I've used. In many ways, I almost WISH there was such an issue, so I could convince myself that I cannot justify the price and return back to my sweet spot of $400-600 binoculars, as I've always found the improvement from them to the approx $1000 binos was too little for the price.

But I cannot. These binoculars, any way I evaluate them, are alpha-level, and at their demo sale price, a steal. In some ways, even if I had my much lusted after 8x42 SLC-HD, I think I'd still pick these up often as the ergonomics are just wonderful for my large hands and there is something about the image that is just so... crisp, clear, lifelike, and easy. I could add more superlatives but at this point, I can't say much more than try a pair if you can, and I can promise you will not be disappointed by the image and mechanics (though I cannot promise the same about ergonomics as these are very personal).

I will say, though, that the rainguard is very... odd. It fits nicely in the sense that it slides right on and off without too little or too much resistance. But, at the same time, it feels cheap and isn't very malleable, so I fear it will break. I may contact EO and see if they can recommend a different one.

Mine should be here this week. I have high hopes for them.

Every time I pick up my 8.5x44 when wandering outside, I try my best to find a fault with them - maybe today they just won't seem as sharp, maybe I'll finally notice some glaring issues, maybe the control of CA wasn't what I hoped... but I just cant seem to induce any such issues. Even the somewhat narrower true field of view isn't bothersome as I thought it may be, due to the AFoV being very similar to many 8x I've used. In many ways, I almost WISH there was such an issue, so I could convince myself that I cannot justify the price and return back to my sweet spot of $400-600 binoculars, as I've always found the improvement from them to the approx $1000 binos was too little for the price.

But I cannot. These binoculars, any way I evaluate them, are alpha-level, and at their demo sale price, a steal. In some ways, even if I had my much lusted after 8x42 SLC-HD, I think I'd still pick these up often as the ergonomics are just wonderful for my large hands and there is something about the image that is just so... crisp, clear, lifelike, and easy. I could add more superlatives but at this point, I can't say much more than try a pair if you can, and I can promise you will not be disappointed by the image and mechanics (though I cannot promise the same about ergonomics as these are very personal).

I will say, though, that the rainguard is very... odd. It fits nicely in the sense that it slides right on and off without too little or too much resistance. But, at the same time, it feels cheap and isn't very malleable, so I fear it will break. I may contact EO and see if they can recommend a different one.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back