• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D7200 and a long lense (1 Viewer)

JTF

Does anyone use the D7200 with the Nikkor 80-400 AF VR ED 1:4.5-5.6D. This is my current main lense and was wondering how it will work on such a newer body. Also is autofocus fine tuning likely to be needed with this combo.

Paul,
Sometimes this forum is pretty slow without a lot of activity. I don't like it when people post and then get ignored, so I'll try to give you my 2 cents.

I have both the D7200 and a D7100. I don't use the 80-400 zoom, but I use other Nikon telephoto lenses. I would never get a Nikon body without AF fine tuning. I have found it makes a significant difference helping to increase my focus hit rate. I like the D7XXX cameras. If you get one, I would prioritize AF fine tuning for the maximum 400mm end of your zoom range, with the aperture wide open. If you use a teleconverter, that requires a separate setting, but the camera will automatically detect whether you have the lens alone or lens+TC and it will automatically switch to the AF adjustment you saved.

Good luck!

Dave

Does anyone use the D7200 with the Nikkor 80-400 AF VR ED 1:4.5-5.6D. This is my current main lense and was wondering how it will work on such a newer body. Also is autofocus fine tuning likely to be needed with this combo.

Paul,
I'm surprised nobody has this combo as it would be ideal for walk-around birding and safaris. I have the D7000 and it worked well with the 80-400 lens but the D800 worked better and the D810 even better. So the D7200 should pair up very well as it's a better camera than the D7000.
You'd love the D810 on it though and then you have a 1.2x and 1.5x crop modes as well.
Neil.

Thankyou both for the great feedback, I didn't get back to my post sooner as I am currently shooting birds in Newfoundland, Canada. I will try out the D7200 at my local camera store upon my return home.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back