• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

just back from north uist (1 Viewer)

aythya_hybrid

real name Jonathan Dean
Just back from a week on the Outer Hebrides. Had a sensational time.

Missed out on the main LT Skua passage but did have 5 passed Balranald, 4 rather distant and one flew right over out heads. Also a total of just shy of 200 Poms, most of them very close.

Other highlights: Snowy Owl on two occasions in fields north of Solas, Rose-coloured Starling on South Uist, one of each Storm and Leach's Petrel from Balranald, 3 Glaucous Gull, 2 Iceland Gull (superb views of one in Uig harbour), Hen Harrier, Golden Eagle, Corncrake, Merlin, Peregrine, White-tailed Eagle (3 times), Red-necked Phalarope, Short-eared Owl, plus usual things like Twite, Puffin, Black Guillemot etc.

Top quality all round.

You were lucky to see the Snowy Owl. My wife and I stayed till dusk on the 16th and 17th May. Two ladies that lived at the top of the track to the Sollas Co-op said one of their neighbours had been watching it fly out of the cemetry for the previous two evenings at dusk. No such luck for us though.
Still we did see the Skua passage at Balranald on the 17th May but we were travelling up to Stornoway on the best day so missed the 300+ Long-tailed Skuas.
Since our last vist in May 2006 there has been a massive cleanup of all the abandoned vehicles that littered the Outer Hebrides although the old tractor is still at Balranald.
We were two weeks later than previous years and I was disappointed not to see the hundreds of Long-tailed Ducks on that small loch by the causeway on Lewis. Roger

my associate for the trip, Sean Nixon, has posted a not unamusing snap from the trip entailing a Buzzard "standing" on a Golden Eagle, on birdguides and the surfbirds UK scarce section. Keep an eye open for more pics from the trip on those websites!

Glad you all enjoyed our garden birds!

The eagle being stood on by a buzzard is an excellent pic - some of the scaps you see are fantasic, be it buzz or raven having a go at eagles - and down right scary when the eagle decides it had enough and takes them 'for fun'. Actually saw two eagles in a scrap last spring - pr sitting on a hill with another male displaying furiously at them, which they ignored, so the displaying bird broke off display spun round and went feet first into the male of the pair on the ground!! After a brief roll about on the ground they all got up and flew away.

Jane, missing the snowy owl is just an excuse to come back.

Cheers
Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back