Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

2018 Orchid Thread

Old Tuesday 10th July 2018, 16:01   #51
lewis20126

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis20126 View Post
Thanks, yes saw that - in addition, I think there is just one 'flowering' plant this year - not great. I'll give it a go on Sunday - perhaps someone could water it today or tomorrow !

cheers, alan
There sees to be a scatter of plants - caged plant near access track was still only in bud; a group of four SW of the Snook House (which i saw) and another single in flower, seen by others later.

cheers, alan
Old Monday 23rd July 2018, 21:11   #52
muba

Hello

I was unaware that a 2018 thread had started. I kicked off the 2017 thread, so reckoned it was someone else's turn. Looked in a few times, but obviously missed the start.
I admit to have followed the pack to social media. Not necessarily because it is a better platform for orchid news, but because so many others had. This forum in 2017 provided little news, but Facebook and Twitter was so active. The big problem with those platform is that it is nigh impossible to find a post from just a fortnight previously. Okay if you only want the 'now situation', but absolutely useless if you want to find a post from 2016 - as I just have, which alerted me to this thread. I found my 2016 post in about 1 minute!

So I would urge people here to keep posting and hopefully we can have several options available, including somewhere for those with an aversion to social media.
Old Monday 23rd July 2018, 21:17   #53
muba

Ainsdale

Some of you may have seen that there was a wildfire at Ainsdale Woods. I went there today, and though it looked startling at first, the damage actually seemed to confined to the vegetative litter on the ground. No permanent damge likely, and perhaps it will give the orchids a reboot next year.
Hats off to those who contained and fought the fire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ains2018b.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	669038  
Old Tuesday 24th July 2018, 17:11   #54
Bodhyfryd

Quote:
Originally Posted by muba View Post
Hello

I was unaware that a 2018 thread had started. I kicked off the 2017 thread, so reckoned it was someone else's turn. Looked in a few times, but obviously missed the start.
I admit to have followed the pack to social media. Not necessarily because it is a better platform for orchid news, but because so many others had. This forum in 2017 provided little news, but Facebook and Twitter was so active. The big problem with those platform is that it is nigh impossible to find a post from just a fortnight previously. Okay if you only want the 'now situation', but absolutely useless if you want to find a post from 2016 - as I just have, which alerted me to this thread. I found my 2016 post in about 1 minute!

So I would urge people here to keep posting and hopefully we can have several options available, including somewhere for those with an aversion to social media.
Very pleased to see you contributing to the Forum, Steve. It has been getting a bit thin lately and we were on the point of giving up. So thank you for your comments. On a personal note, was it you whom we met at Eryrys back in May? If so, apologies for not making the connection with your Birdforum name!

Martin and Elaine
Old Tuesday 24th July 2018, 17:56   #55
muba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhyfryd View Post
Very pleased to see you contributing to the Forum, Steve. It has been getting a bit thin lately and we were on the point of giving up. So thank you for your comments. On a personal note, was it you whom we met at Eryrys back in May? If so, apologies for not making the connection with your Birdforum name!

Martin and Elaine
Indeed it was me. Alaways nice to meet a fellow enthusiast for a chat.
Old Tuesday 24th July 2018, 18:42   #56
muba

I have been keeping my Orchid Blog reasonably up to date. However it is all in the past now, but it may provide you with ideas for next year. Trying to avoid returning to 'the same old places' but some are unavoidable. So a a splattering of new places in the 2018 outings. Also included is the five days we spent in central Crete during April. A must for any botanist!
Old Wednesday 25th July 2018, 09:14   #57
Bodhyfryd

Quote:
I have been keeping my Orchid Blog reasonably up to date. However it is all in the past now, but it may provide you with ideas for next year. Trying to avoid returning to 'the same old places' but some are unavoidable. So a a splattering of new places in the 2018 outings. Also included is the five days we spent in central Crete during April. A must for any botanist!
It is great to have your comments and your excellent and informative blog. It encourages us to think that this forum may have a little life left in it yet.

Sometimes you get local "mini surprises". Elaine and I were out walking with the dog locally at Tanyfron, and we found a few (we assume) Broad-leaved helleborine growing in the margins of a lightly wooded area adjacent to the path. They look pretty desiccated and may abort before flowering this year, but it is always nice to find a new location.
Old Wednesday 25th July 2018, 09:17   #58
Bodhyfryd

New books

We concur with the comments in your blog about the two books which have appeared in the last year on "orchid missions". Both are very enjoyable reads, each offering a different angle on the quest for Britain's wild orchids. Both highly recommended, and of course Leif was a frequent contributor to Birdforum during his gap year.
Old Thursday 26th July 2018, 13:50   #59
muba

Quote:
Sometimes you get local "mini surprises". Elaine and I were out walking with the dog locally at Tanyfron, and we found a few (we assume) Broad-leaved helleborine growing in the margins of a lightly wooded area adjacent to the path. They look pretty desiccated and may abort before flowering this year, but it is always nice to find a new location.
That is quite a nice clump Martin. Shame the flowers have gone black, but probably worth a visit another year.
Old Thursday 26th July 2018, 15:55   #60
Troubador

Orchids are always capable of giving surprises. Our big one this year was when roaming around in the west of Ardnamurchan we came across a previously unrecorded site for Sword-leaved Helleborine Cephalanthera longifolia which had me nearly doing hand-stands. And quite a few years ago on North Uist after several years of searching for Bog Orchid Hammarbya paludosa we had given up on this and were descending a slope on a series of muddy steps caused by the regular passage of Red Deer and when I turned around on a lower step to offer my hand to my wife to steady her descent I found myself eye to eye with half a dozen Bog Orchids! Amazing.

Lee
Old Thursday 26th July 2018, 18:36   #61
Bodhyfryd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Orchids are always capable of giving surprises. Our big one this year was when roaming around in the west of Ardnamurchan we came across a previously unrecorded site for Sword-leaved Helleborine Cephalanthera longifolia which had me nearly doing hand-stands. And quite a few years ago on North Uist after several years of searching for Bog Orchid Hammarbya paludosa we had given up on this and were descending a slope on a series of muddy steps caused by the regular passage of Red Deer and when I turned around on a lower step to offer my hand to my wife to steady her descent I found myself eye to eye with half a dozen Bog Orchids! Amazing.

Lee
That certainly is what you call a surprise!! Ardnamurchan and North Uist have happy memories for us in yielding Irish Ladies Tresses in tiny numbers three or four years ago.
Old Thursday 26th July 2018, 18:44   #62
Troubador

Quote:
That certainly is what you call a surprise!! Ardnamurchan and North Uist have happy memories for us in yielding Irish Ladies Tresses in tiny numbers three or four years ago.
We visited a Tresses site a couple of weeks ago and no sign then. We will go next week again but it has been a strange season over here with no rain for months so you never know how this might have affected the Tresses. The Bog Orchids had done OK in some sites though.

Lee
Old Thursday 26th July 2018, 18:55   #63
muba

Highlights of my year so far #1

The Fly x Bee hybrids in southern Somerset. 18/05/18
This hybrid is not known from many sites; I know there may be one in Kent, and am more confident of one not far from Stroud.

Is this the only orchid hybrid to have an airline named after it?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A3032018hyb2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	669311  Click image for larger version

Name:	A3032018hyb5.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	669312  Click image for larger version

Name:	flybe.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	669313  
Old Monday 30th July 2018, 17:09   #64
muba

Highlights of my year so far #2

A nice 13-spike clump of Violet Helleborines on a beech wood slope at Coalbrookdale, today! I have found 2 or 3 spikes together here before, but this knocks spots off those. Very happy.
One of my first Orchid books was Wild Orchids of Britain by Summerhayes. There is a plate of a clump of VH on a Hampshire roadside, and I often dreamt of finding similar. This clump is nearly twice as big as that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vhclump.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	669727  

Last edited by muba : Monday 30th July 2018 at 17:28.
Old Monday 30th July 2018, 22:12   #65
Bodhyfryd

That's certainly a lovely clump of Violet helleborines- a great find! Thanks for the photo too. I feel that it enhances the forum if we can have photos wherever possible.

We still have our copy of Summerhayes - it's a treasure and while it of course reminds us of the numerous changes of nomenclature in the past 50-60 years, it remains a joy to read.
Old Monday 30th July 2018, 23:22   #66
muba

Summerhayes should be the starting point for an orchideer. Yes, some of it is obsolete, but I would hope today's readers would recognise that that was the norm for the period. It puts into words what other books try to achieve less effectively. There is a prose to it that leaps over the formulaic and rigid descriptions of other works.
Old Tuesday 31st July 2018, 17:26   #67
Waxwings

Irish Ladies’ Tresses on Benbecula

Irish Ladies’ Tresses just coming into flower on Benbecula on 13 July.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D88BEBF2-7FB0-44C9-8DCC-8AB6E08EA7C0.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	669835  
Old Tuesday 31st July 2018, 21:00   #68
Bodhyfryd

ILT's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxwings View Post
Irish Ladies’ Tresses just coming into flower on Benbecula on 13 July.
Always lovely to see this orchid (thank you for submitting the photo), especially for those of us who live south of the border. Brings back memories of our trip to the Uists and Benbecula 3 or 4 years ago in late August, when ILT's were few and far between. Our most exciting find was an ILT on the banks of Loch Shiel, on the Scottish mainland, in bud!
Old Saturday 4th August 2018, 14:59   #69
muba

Highlights of my year so far #3

Chappett's Copse in Hampshire is said to be home to Britains largest population of Sword-leaved Helleborines, Cephalanthera longifolia. I can well believe it. You walk into a glade and see hundreds. It is also home to White Helleborines and the hybrids, Bird's-nest Orchids and Fly Orchids. 21/05/18
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chap2018slh2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	395.8 KB
ID:	670061  
Old Saturday 11th August 2018, 12:05   #70
muba

Highlights of my Year #4

Bonsai Bank in Denge Wood, Kent, must be the place for Lady Orchids. Literally hundreds of them. I believe this area had a major cutback of the scrub a couple of years ago, and the orchids look as if they approve. You can certainly see them well. They have to be one of my favourites, tall and stately, yet seemingly fragile.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bonsai2018lady1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	670787  Click image for larger version

Name:	Bonsai2018lady2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	670788  Click image for larger version

Name:	Bonsai2018lady3.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	670789  Click image for larger version

Name:	Bonsai2018lady4.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	670790  
Old Monday 13th August 2018, 22:11   #71
muba

I gather that Autumn Lady's-tresses are just starting to push spikes up in N. Wales. Perhaps 10-14 days to see them at their best, but I was expecting them to be weather victims this year.
Old Tuesday 14th August 2018, 12:23   #72
Bodhyfryd

ALTs - Gop Hill

Quote:
I gather that Autumn Lady's-tresses are just starting to push spikes up in N. Wales. Perhaps 10-14 days to see them at their best, but I was expecting them to be weather victims this year.
We were hoping to try Gop Hill in the coming days, but family illness may prevent it. Any news about the ALT's there would be welcome.
Old Monday 20th August 2018, 11:47   #73
muba

Highlights of my year #5

No-one is really sure how a small colony of a hybrid between Ophrys scolopax (the Woodcock Orchid) and O. insectifera came to be growing on a Dorset roadside. The foreign parent plant has not been seen there. The explanation I find most plausible is that when the road was re-aligned a few years ago it was seeded with a foreign mix of wildflower seen, or that foreign top soil was used.
Jon Dunn gives some serious thought to such introductions in his book Orchid Summer. I never got to see the O. tenthedrinifera at Durleston - it didn't flower last year when I visited there, but that one is looking increasing likely as a deliberate introduction. O. bertilonii was seen there in '76.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	melb2018hyb4.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	671505  Click image for larger version

Name:	melb2018hyb8.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	671506  
Old Tuesday 21st August 2018, 22:36   #74
muba

Quote:
We were hoping to try Gop Hill in the coming days, but family illness may prevent it. Any news about the ALT's there would be welcome.
I hope you can get there. I hear that there are a thousand, repeat a thousand, this year. The numbers may be apparent because the turf got really parched and the ALTs really stand out. Normally we may just not see them hiding in the grass. 100s reported on Great Orme too.
I shall be there in a day or two
Old Wednesday 22nd August 2018, 06:55   #75
Bodhyfryd

Quote:
I hope you can get there. I hear that there are a thousand, repeat a thousand, this year. The numbers may be apparent because the turf got really parched and the ALTs really stand out. Normally we may just not see them hiding in the grass. 100s reported on Great Orme too.
I shall be there in a day or two
That is most interesting. I feared that after this summer numbers might actually be reduced. If we possibly can go we will seek to do so. We went a few years ago and counted around 100 on the main hill, so it will be interesting to get some sense of what has happened this year.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: