Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Black Turnstones near Venice, California?

Old Wednesday 4th July 2018, 10:43   #1
rylirk

Black Turnstones near Venice, California?

Hi all,
I have a conference in Pasadena, CA this July, and I've treated myself to a couple of days in Venice Beach beforehand. I'd like to have a go at a day of local birding (I've never been to the US West Coast before, so should be a lot of lifers!), but I won't have access to a car or the 'Uber' thing so my transport options are limited.

My absolute #1 target bird is the Black Turnstone. I gather most of them will be in Alaska at this time but, in the UK certainly, we have a few Ruddy Turnstones that stick about year-round. Are there any accessible summer Black Turnstone (or, even less likely, Surfbird) colonies near Venice accessible by public transport? I've been looking at the coastal stretch near the Ballona Wetlands.

Thanks!
-- Latest Addition: Little Owl - Oare, Kent, 15/7
Old Friday 6th July 2018, 16:57   #2
cassowary

This link might help you

https://ebird.org/map/blktur?neg=tru...=2018&eyr=2018

Mike
Old Wednesday 11th July 2018, 20:36   #3
njlarsen
Opus Editor

In the map Mike linked to, you can change the settings for which months to see if that help you with regards to figuring out where the birds are likely to be.

Public transportation in the US is almost always a problem. If you have a smartphone you could try to have a short term US SIM card with data and download the Uber app to make you a little more mobile. It is possible to get such a sim without a contract (but prepaid).

Niels

Temporarily living in Tennessee

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 14:06   #4
rylirk

I think realistically I'm going to be limited to the immediate surroundings of central LA; looks like there is a wetlands area within walking distance of where I'm staying. Doesn't look like I'd be able to reach any of the sites with turnstone reported, but other West coast waders like Black Oystercatcher look a bit more accessible. Literally any North American birds not found on the East Coast will be new for me, so I'm sure I'll pick up some lifers anyhow :) . Thanks!
Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 14:28   #5
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Any options on bicycle hire or loan? Might be worth asking your conference organisers if they can help out?
Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 14:42   #6
Mark Newsome
Born to seawatch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rylirk View Post
Hi all,
I have a conference in Pasadena, CA this July, and I've treated myself to a couple of days in Venice Beach beforehand. I'd like to have a go at a day of local birding (I've never been to the US West Coast before, so should be a lot of lifers!), but I won't have access to a car or the 'Uber' thing so my transport options are limited.

My absolute #1 target bird is the Black Turnstone. I gather most of them will be in Alaska at this time but, in the UK certainly, we have a few Ruddy Turnstones that stick about year-round. Are there any accessible summer Black Turnstone (or, even less likely, Surfbird) colonies near Venice accessible by public transport? I've been looking at the coastal stretch near the Ballona Wetlands.

Thanks!
Not sure about July, but I was in Venice Beach in early September a couple of years back. Black Turnstones were easy enough along the main beach; just walk along the tideline between Venice Beach pier and Santa Monica pier, and check around the rocky outcrops. Also Surfbirds, Western Willett etc. Although most won't have arrived back in CA yet, it'll be worth checking these regular haunts, just in case there are summering non-breeders.

Mark
Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 14:48   #7
rylirk

Never learned to ride a bike I'm afraid, Nutcracker! My birding in the UK is done entirely by train, bus and walking. I'll certainly be looking along the beach for birds Mark; even Western gull would be a lifer
Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 20:46   #8
Larry Sweetland
Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'

How about contacting Birdingpal or similar? Maybe a friendly local might be able to take you out for the day? You never know!
Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 20:58   #9
rylirk

Ooo that sounds interesting. I've not heard of this service? Is there a website? I only have one full day free and had planned to go do tourist stuff, but a trip with a local may sway my mind :)
Old Friday 20th July 2018, 10:21   #10
dandsblair
David and Sarah

Birding pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rylirk View Post
Ooo that sounds interesting. I've not heard of this service? Is there a website? I only have one full day free and had planned to go do tourist stuff, but a trip with a local may sway my mind :)
I've used a few and have a couple of days booked with pals in Australia next month - you normally just meet the birding pals costs, fuel, meal etc.

http://birdingpal.org/
it now costs $10 for admin but just one day makes it worth it and you can also offer to take out people on your local patch.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: