Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

NIKON introduces new Monarch HG 8x30 and 10x30 Binoculars

Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 15:52   #26
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-on View Post
No it can't.

Nick
Gee!

If you have a neck why can't you use it to improve the limited specifications of your binocular?

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 15:59   #27
Nick-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
Gee!

If you have a neck why can't you use it to improve the limited specifications of your binocular?

Bob
Why stop at 7.7, how about 6 or 4. why just by turning your neck your smartie tubes will have 180 FOV. A wider FOV is better than a narrower FOV in nearly every instance. Just because you like a particular binocular doesn't change things.

Gee.

Nick

Last edited by Troubador : Wednesday 18th July 2018 at 08:25.
Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 21:11   #28
Steve C

Bob is right here. The fov difference is insignificant. Lee make the point about a 19% increase in viewing area, but that too is, as a practical matter...insignificant. That is my opinion. What is factored out in fov discussions is that while we can change magnifications, fov width, coatings and other things, we are stuck with our narrow focus human vision. Give that same human vision a 19% larger area, you simply are adding a larger area for our narrow vision, central focused vision at that, to contend with. This, again in my opinion, causes observers to rely more on the fov of the binocular and far too little on our own eyes, which are what should be getting ti most use in a birding situation. There is certainly some advantage to adding peripheral vision,m but those who seem to feel they can dart their eyes to the edge are simply exposing various aberrations that are caused by off axis viewing that were never intended to be tin the center field in the first place. Plus that edge darting seems a splendid way to create eye strain. It is very hard to actually look at the edge of the fov.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have" Teddy Roosevelt.

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 22:12   #29
nmason

Isn't a wider FOV a potentially significant advantage for spotting birds while scanning through binoculars, making it easier to pick up movement in branches, or to spot a distant hawk in the sky overhead? Often I seem to notice movement peripherally, but then of course I reposition the binoculars so the bird is in the center.

Neill
Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 23:16   #30
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Bob is right here. The fov difference is insignificant. Lee make the point about a 19% increase in viewing area, but that too is, as a practical matter...insignificant. That is my opinion. What is factored out in fov discussions is that while we can change magnifications, fov width, coatings and other things, we are stuck with our narrow focus human vision. Give that same human vision a 19% larger area, you simply are adding a larger area for our narrow vision, central focused vision at that, to contend with. This, again in my opinion, causes observers to rely more on the fov of the binocular and far too little on our own eyes, which are what should be getting ti most use in a birding situation. There is certainly some advantage to adding peripheral vision,m but those who seem to feel they can dart their eyes to the edge are simply exposing various aberrations that are caused by off axis viewing that were never intended to be tin the center field in the first place. Plus that edge darting seems a splendid way to create eye strain. It is very hard to actually look at the edge of the fov.
As Lee and nmason said the bigger FOV helps you spot movement and potential birds when scanning. A bigger FOV is always advantageous especially when there are no aberrations at the edge as in the Swarovski SV. Even if it is not a flat field binocular you can usually detect movement at the edge which tells you you snagged something so you can move the object to the center. I can easily see the edges of my SV's with out hardly any eye darting. I can also easily see the difference between a binocular with a 400 foot FOV compared to one with a 420 foot FOV and one with a 440 foot FOV. If a bigger FOV is not desired why even have binoculars? We would all be using spotting scopes and twisting our necks around. Heck, they have way more magnification than a binocular. Why do some birders prefer a 7x binocular over 10x? One of the big reasons is it has a bigger FOV.

Last edited by Troubador : Wednesday 18th July 2018 at 08:26.
Old Friday 13th July 2018, 00:38   #31
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2018

When you are out birding in the thick stuff and the birds are close...I can absolutely tell a difference between binocular "A" with 399 ft FOV and binocular "B" with 420 ft FOV. I have proven this to myself time and time again. It's easier to spot a bird quicker....no doubt about it. That's very important because birds usually don't say still! NOW...less FOV doesn't make a binoculars necessarily a unworthy binocular and I can certainly make a binocular with lower FOV numbers WORK...but given the choice...I'll take the one with more FOV and can probably tell the difference in the field.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 13th July 2018, 00:40   #32
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
https://www.nikon.com/news/2018/0628_monarch_hg_01.htm

They have FOVs of 435'@1000yds and 362'@1000yds respectively and ERs of 16.2mm and 15.2mm respectively. They weigh 15.9 ounces.

Nikon is now listing them on its USA Binocular website:

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/n...-hg/index.page

Their price is about the same as the 42mm Monarch HGs.

Bob
BTW Bob....

I WANT one of the 8X32!

Old Friday 13th July 2018, 01:16   #33
cycleguy

I'm with the side that appreciates a wider field of view and the more usable the FOV the more better.

If I follow the thinking of a smaller field of view with a monopod neck that swivels in all directions as equivalent, then I should be content with any size FOV even down to 1' at 1000 yards???.... I can tell you for me this is not the case.

My .02,

CG
Old Friday 13th July 2018, 02:35   #34
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

A wider FOV also contributes to a greater sense of space, and usually a more relaxed view in my experience, less squinty.
Old Friday 13th July 2018, 03:39   #35
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
BTW Bob....

I WANT one of the 8X32!
Chuck,

They are both 8x30.

One is the new Nikon Monarch 8x30 HG, the other is the Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B which I own. I use it almost every day and I like very much!

I also have a Nikon 8x42 HG which has the same 8.3 FOV as the new 8x30 HG. Except for size they look very much alike. The oculars on the 8x30, of course, are shorter and smaller than the ones on the 8x42 but they still have to produce the same 8.3 FOV as the ones on the 8x42.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Friday 13th July 2018 at 03:47.

Old Friday 13th July 2018, 04:19   #36
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy View Post
I'm with the side that appreciates a wider field of view and the more usable the FOV the more better.

If I follow the thinking of a smaller field of view with a monopod neck that swivels in all directions as equivalent, then I should be content with any size FOV even down to 1' at 1000 yards???.... I can tell you for me this is not the case.

My .02,

CG
Not really. The Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B and new Nikon Monarch 8x30 HG have FOVs that are close to each other but the Nikon FOV is wider. All you really want to do is move the Swarovski slightly by "pivoting" your neck to create a similar FOV as the Nikons. It isn't complicated. You probably do it unconsciously with any binocular when following a bird flitting through the branches of a tree. That is what I meant when I commented that the Nikons "38 more feet FOV at 1000 yards was insignificant in normal use" when compared with the Swarovski. See Post #12 above.

It is absurd to think that uncontrolled neck swiveling will make a binocular with a narrow FOV competitive with one with a very wide FOV.

Last edited by ceasar : Friday 13th July 2018 at 04:21.

Old Friday 13th July 2018, 08:31   #37
dalat

Funny discussion this. A FOV of 145m/1000m is almost best in class for a 8x roof binocular, while 132m/1000m is pretty average. If this matters to you, up to you to decide. I certainly appreciate a good FOV.
Old Friday 13th July 2018, 10:00   #38
PeterPS

Quote:
I certainly appreciate a good FOV.
Who doesn't? Maybe only someone who can "pivot his neck unconsciously". I think we are running out of topics.....
Old Friday 13th July 2018, 12:30   #39
Vespobuteo

With the "shortish" eye relief the complete FOV might be difficult to enjoy, at least if wearing glasses.
Eye cup rim seem to be rather high as well, stealing some of the ER. The 42mm HG was not optimal with glasses either and to me it looks like the eye pieces are similar in the 30mm version.
Old Friday 13th July 2018, 12:37   #40
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Chuck,

They are both 8x30.

One is the new Nikon Monarch 8x30 HG, the other is the Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B which I own. I use it almost every day and I like very much!

I also have a Nikon 8x42 HG which has the same 8.3 FOV as the new 8x30 HG. Except for size they look very much alike. The oculars on the 8x30, of course, are shorter and smaller than the ones on the 8x42 but they still have to produce the same 8.3 FOV as the ones on the 8x42.

Bob
Hey Bob,

I knew what I was THINKING but it didn't get to my fingers!

I want one of the Monarch HG 8X30s! Well I would like one of the new CL 8X30s TOO but will prob just get the Nikon... Of course I don't NEED either!

Old Friday 13th July 2018, 12:39   #41
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespobuteo View Post
With the "shortish" eye relief the complete FOV might be difficult to enjoy, at least if wearing glasses.
Eye cup rim seem to be rather high as well, stealing some of the ER. The 42mm HG was not optimal with glasses either and to me it looks like the eye pieces are similar in the 30mm version.
Yeah, the eye relief of the 8X30 DOES look to be cutting it close for me..

Old Friday 13th July 2018, 12:40   #42
MandoBear

If I'm watching a bird in flight (and most of the birds round here do fly), I'll take a wider FoV any day (all other things being equal). The view is just more involving and natural - and I find acquiring and following a fast-flying bird so much easier with a wider FoV.
Old Friday 13th July 2018, 14:43   #43
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalat View Post
Funny discussion this. A FOV of 145m/1000m is almost best in class for a 8x roof binocular, while 132m/1000m is pretty average. If this matters to you, up to you to decide. I certainly appreciate a good FOV.

Yeah, the 8.3 Monarch 8x42 HG at 145m/1000m has almost the same FOV as the 8.4 148m/1000 FOV of the Zeiss Victory 8x42 SF which costs about $2000.00 more.

Which one would you rather have?

132mm/1000m is about what the old Zeiss Victory 8x42 FL and Nikon 8x42 EDG and Swarovski 8.5x42 Swarovision all have. Nobody complained about them having small FOVs. They all are, and were, top of the line binoculars.

Last edited by ceasar : Friday 13th July 2018 at 14:46.

Old Friday 13th July 2018, 15:09   #44
dalat

Quote:
Yeah, the 8.3 Monarch 8x42 HG at 145m/1000m has almost the same FOV as the 8.4 148m/1000 FOV of the Zeiss Victory 8x42 SF which costs about $2000.00 more.

The Zeiss FOV is awesome. But its too bulky for me. And too expensive. If the new HG 8x30 turns out to be good optically, I will seriously consider.

Really not sure what you're up to here? Of course FOV is important. Just as CA control, edge sharpness, weight, color, price, eye relief etc. What is more important to you, you have to decide. But please let me decide myself if the difference of 145 to 132 matters to me or not.
Old Friday 13th July 2018, 15:18   #45
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

Fov

Quote:

132mm/1000m is about what the old Zeiss Victory 8x42 FL and Nikon 8x42 EDG and Swarovski 8.5x42 Swarovision all have. Nobody complained about them having small FOVs. They all are, and were, top of the line binoculars.

All three of those are great glass, and are used by other outdoor enthusiasts (besides birders) who appreciate a well built glass, that are constructed to the highest standard and are not fragile. The Nikon HG is a tough glass also and built better than the one costing over 2 grand more.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 13th July 2018, 16:53   #46
jgraider

Based on the HG 10x/8x full size binos, I don't have any reservations about build quality or optics. They are impressive. With the smaller 8x32 class glass, it's always an ER issue that will make or break the deal for me. I don't know how many great binos don't work for me because of this.
Old Friday 13th July 2018, 18:21   #47
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalat View Post
The Zeiss FOV is awesome. But its too bulky for me. And too expensive. If the new HG 8x30 turns out to be good optically, I will seriously consider.

Really not sure what you're up to here? Of course FOV is important. Just as CA control, edge sharpness, weight, color, price, eye relief etc. What is more important to you, you have to decide. But please let me decide myself if the difference of 145 to 132 matters to me or not.
I'm not up to anything. I'm just moving along the discussion.

Bob

Old Friday 13th July 2018, 18:41   #48
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraider View Post
Based on the HG 10x/8x full size binos, I don't have any reservations about build quality or optics. They are impressive. With the smaller 8x32 class glass, it's always an ER issue that will make or break the deal for me. I don't know how many great binos don't work for me because of this.

ER has always been a problem for me also with 30/32 mm binoculars. It becomes a bigger problem when they have wide field oculars on them.

I find that even the design of the eye cups can make a difference. I don't like eye cups that have rounded off tops. Straight flat tops make them easier for me to brace up against my eye brows.

Swarovski seems to have eliminated some eye placement problems with its curious "optical box" design of the oculars in their new CL Companion 8/10x30B. I am able to use those binoculars braced up against my eye brows or with the eye pieces back around my eye balls which I could not do with any previous binocular.

Old Saturday 14th July 2018, 03:54   #49
cycleguy

Quote:
Not really. The Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B and new Nikon Monarch 8x30 HG have FOVs that are close to each other but the Nikon FOV is wider. All you really want to do is move the Swarovski slightly by "pivoting" your neck to create a similar FOV as the Nikons. It isn't complicated. You probably do it unconsciously with any binocular when following a bird flitting through the branches of a tree. That is what I meant when I commented that the Nikons "38 more feet FOV at 1000 yards was insignificant in normal use" when compared with the Swarovski. See Post #12 above.

It is absurd to think that uncontrolled neck swiveling will make a binocular with a narrow FOV competitive with one with a very wide FOV.
Bob,

Yes it is; as are many things BirdForum!

Hey, I'm just trying to fit in here!!

CG
Old Saturday 14th July 2018, 15:40   #50
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

I have a Leica UV 8X42 HD and although it has a bit less FOV than the HG Nikon 8X42, I don't have any problem missing something afield. We are not talking large differences between the CL and the HG 8X30 with respect to field of view at all, minuscule IMHO.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: