• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Considering a used Opticron scope - grateful for advice. (1 Viewer)

h0race

My wife has an old Opticron scope which we bought (secondhand) over 20 years ago. It has given great service, but it's time for a replacement.

Our current scope has no model number on it, but it has a 60mm front element, is made of metal with a pale green hammered paint finish and (unlike more recent models) has a large focusing ring in the middle of the scope body.

Basically, we need something a bit lighter and minus the huge focusing ring (which isn't particularly nice to use).

I'm tempted to stick with Opticron - our scope has has had 20 years of hammering in all weathers and hasn't a mark on it. It's clearly been built to last and will be kept as a second scope until it gives up the ghost.

I don't mind buying used. Budget is about £300 (flexible).

The reason for changing has nothing to do with optical quality - my wife has made it clear that she is perfectly happy with the current scope in that regard. It's mostly about weight and the awkward focusing arrangement.
The only other stipulation is for an angled eyepiece. A zoom is preferred.

I'd be grateful for some advice on which used Opticron scopes offer best value.

Many thanks,

Martin

Hi Martin, sounds like you have an old HR60 - a perfectly serviceable scope, and well built. The obvious suggestion would be for one of the newer MM3 or MM4 series, but used ones seem to get snapped up rapidly, and are usually a bit above your budget. Here is one suggestion within your budget, and would appear to fit the bill.

Hi Martin, sounds like you have an old HR60 - a perfectly serviceable scope, and well built. The obvious suggestion would be for one of the newer MM3 or MM4 series, but used ones seem to get snapped up rapidly, and are usually a bit above your budget. Here is one suggestion within your budget, and would appear to fit the bill.

Thanks - a quick web search suggests it is indeed an HR60, so that mystery is solved. It's like a solid lump of metal with a bit of glass at the end - thus far it has proved unkillable!

Martin

I agree with Daniel's suggestion that for your budget, brand, angled body, weight and lens requirements this is the scope to go for. There obviously is a reduction in the size of the front objective lens.
Very much seconded.
Pat

Thanks for the advice so far. I will have a look at the MM3/4.

The Opticron range is a bit bewildering to the uninitiated - HR, GS, IF, MM, ED etc etc.

Cheers

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back