• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Gitzo (1 Viewer)

snapper

I am after A Gitzo tripod but don't know what model to buy there are so many I want one that is very stable/stiff this to me is more important than weight but I would like one short enough to strap to a backpack carbon fibre or alloy price is not important any help please. Regards Snapper.

Hi Snapper.

I use a Gitzo 1312 Alloy tripod & find it very stable indeed, I use a 500 f4 + 1.4 extender on & It knocks spots off my old Manfrotto 055 nat3.

Paul :t:

I use a GT3540LS Carbon 6X Systematic tripod. It weighs 4 pounds and is stiff as a brick. It has no center column for better rigidity. It has the fastest recovery from impacts to your tripod or scope (under 1 second in my experience). I tried a number of different tripods and found the 3 series systematic tripods to be considerably better than the competition but you pay the price for the performance. Everytime I use the tripod I am amazed at the stillness of the image even at 60X.

I am after A Gitzo tripod but don't know what model to buy there are so many I want one that is very stable/stiff this to me is more important than weight but I would like one short enough to strap to a backpack carbon fibre or alloy price is not important any help please. Regards Snapper.

An important question: what do you need to support with this tripod? If you are using a large, heavy telephoto lens you need something bigger and heavier than if you are using the tripod for a spotting scope or a smaller lens.

If you want maximal sturdiness then focus on carbon fiber models, period. Also, it's just my own experience, but I purchased a Gitzo 1325 with no center column and I soon regretted it. To make small adjustments without a center column was truly a pain. I purchased a center column and am now happy. I see absolutely no difference in sturdiness/support.

Finally: I know it's a little non-PC, but you might consider looking at the Chinese knock-off versions of Gitzos, the Benro tripods. They are well-made and way, way cheaper. I bought a travel Benro, justifying the support of product piracy because I had already bought two very expensive Gitzos previously. Also, curiously, Gitzo has not publicly condemned the Benros or done anything to stop their continued production.

Finally: I know it's a little non-PC, but you might consider looking at the Chinese knock-off versions of Gitzos, the Benro tripods. They are well-made and way, way cheaper. I bought a travel Benro, justifying the support of product piracy because I had already bought two very expensive Gitzos previously. Also, curiously, Gitzo has not publicly condemned the Benros or done anything to stop their continued production.

There have been reports elsewhere on the web of these Benro tripods falling appart - I guess they are either no as well made as Gitzos or there are quality control issues, either way I'd not risk putting my camera on one.

I use a Gitzo 5540LS to hold a 600mm f4 and a 1348 (33 series now) carbon tripods for macro and other work. I used to use the 1348 for long lens work but found it not to be stable enough. Both tripods are around 23" long and fit neatly against a backpack. You do not say what you need it for but as your name is Snapper, I assume bird photography. For any long lens you need as solid a tripod as you can get/afford.

There have been reports elsewhere on the web of these Benro tripods falling appart - I guess they are either no as well made as Gitzos or there are quality control issues, either way I'd not risk putting my camera on one.

I wonder if these reports represent, in fact, Gitzo's response to this competition ;)? The feedback overall on Benro tripods has been overwhelmingly positive. B&H Photo in New York now carries them, and that's a real endorsement. I own a travel Benro and it's absolutely first-rate. The main negative info I have seen regarding Benro is that their attempt to produce a knock-off of an Arca-Swiss ball head had lots of problems.

Still, the point is valid--if you don't have confidence in the equipment you purchase you will always experience a level of worry. Caveat emptor still applies. No one I know has ever regretted buying a Gitzo.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back