• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eurasian Wren - Status in NW Russian / Finland (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Eurasian Wren - Status in NW Russia / Finland

On a walk today, I had my first sighting of Eurasian Wren here in St Petersburg in five years having heard it on just one previous occasion.

We have an old book 'Birds of the Leningrad region and adjacent areas' which gives the status as common summer visitor. Has something changed, how often do you guys in Finland see the species?

The same books states that Three-toed Woodpecker is the commonest Woodpecker in the region, it is not, not even close these days.

Just checked Tiira, our recording system, data for full year 2017 and there are records throughout the year including c.200 records in January for the whole of Suomi

Thanks Madd, is it a bird you see often?

My wife is always out with her camera and has never seen one here.

Last edited:
Thanks Jalid,
seeing the description as 'common', can't believe I've only had the two contacts in five years but as you say, it was pretty dense forest where I've had it so habitat is a bit different to the UK where I regularly have one singing outside my kitchen window as many people do.

And it is migratory, with only single birds trying to winter yearly.

This is what intrigues me...as said...200 individual entries for January 2017 in Tiira...I'm curious enough to slap them into excel and see how many individual birds were looking at here...

More anon

Just to the southwest, Estonia is pretty much 100% Wren territory according to observation.org.
There is only one observation from St Petersburg (at the Kirov Central Park in 2015), but very few people using observation.org visit Russia. Similar for ebird: only one sighting at Lisiy Nos (2005) and one west of Gatchina (2015). Common enough in Finland though.

Just to the southwest, Estonia is pretty much 100% Wren territory according to observation.org.
There is only one observation from St Petersburg (at the Kirov Central Park in 2015), but very few people using observation.org visit Russia. Similar for ebird: only one sighting at Lisiy Nos (2005) and one west of Gatchina (2015). Common enough in Finland though.

Many thanks, it's genuinely uncommon in N St Petersburg it seems.

Maybe related to the habitat you are birding in around St Petersburg? Common/moderately common in summer across all Baltic States in preferred habitats, far less so in winter. Additionally, in Lithuania at least, many more migrate though in autumn, these including Russian birds too.

I don't think much can be read into the lack of Russian records on ebird etc - would likely reflect coverage more than true status.

Maybe related to the habitat you are birding in around St Petersburg? Common/moderately common in summer across all Baltic States in preferred habitats, far less so in winter. Additionally, in Lithuania at least, many more migrate though in autumn, these including Russian birds too.

I don't think much can be read into the lack of Russian records on ebird etc - would likely reflect coverage more than true status.

Possibly and definitely.

I think my patch is probably, generally too wet but I visit other areas where I'd expect them if they were around.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back