• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bizarre greenfinch behaviour (1 Viewer)

Yesterday I watched a greenfinch completely destroy a primrose - he systematically pecked all the blossoms from it. He then wandered among other plants on the rockery (none of which he attacked) before flying up onto the feeder! Does anyone have an explanation for this strange act of vandalism!

Margaret

I try to do some online looking for you but didn't find anything. sorry. I hope you found some answers. good luck.

Margaret Mc said:
Yesterday I watched a greenfinch completely destroy a primrose - he systematically pecked all the blossoms from it. He then wandered among other plants on the rockery (none of which he attacked) before flying up onto the feeder! Does anyone have an explanation for this strange act of vandalism!

Margaret

Hi Margaret,

You don't actually say so in your post but I suspect the primroses were yellow (similar colour to our native UK primrose?). A number of species are known to eat primrose flowers (House Sparrows are notorious for it). I think they are after the nectar that these spring flowers produce. At this time of year the natural 'seed' based food these birds usually eat are in short supply so they go for the energy boost that is provided by nectar rich flowers, even if they can get seed from your feeders?!

Mynydd Merlin said:
Hi Margaret,

You don't actually say so in your post but I suspect the primroses were yellow (similar colour to our native UK primrose?). A number of species are known to eat primrose flowers (House Sparrows are notorious for it). I think they are after the nectar that these spring flowers produce. At this time of year the natural 'seed' based food these birds usually eat are in short supply so they go for the energy boost that is provided by nectar rich flowers, even if they can get seed from your feeders?!

This is correct. I have had mine destroyed by a resident Blackbird but then he does it every year.
He is now waiting for the Bereberis Darwinii to stop flowering so he can wait for those Purple Berries

Talon 1 said:
This is correct. I have had mine destroyed by a resident Blackbird but then he does it every year.
He is now waiting for the Bereberis Darwinii to stop flowering so he can wait for those Purple Berries

I certainly agree. The house sparrows here do exactly the same to primroses we have along a border. At first I thought it was slugs until I actually saw the sparrows doing it as they nest just above the flower border in our eaves.

Bizarre Behaviour

lapwing1 said:
I certainly agree. The house sparrows here do exactly the same to primroses we have along a border. At first I thought it was slugs until I actually saw the sparrows doing it as they nest just above the flower border in our eaves.

Watched two house sparrows tearing into dandelions in the garden yesterday and eating the flower petals, funny to watch..male appeared to hop over to each flower take a quick peck and stand back while the female had a good feed..

Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes - the primrose is yellow and I did wonder about the colour being significant. The notion that there is some nutrional value in the flowers makes sense. The trouble I have now is that I spend even more time gazing out the window watching for further antics.

Margaret

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back