• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown bird of prey (1 Viewer)

wonderview

Would anyone want to hazard a guess as to what type of hawk this is? I saw it flying toward me and thought it might get quite close, but it suddenly veered off and the only photo I could get of it was when it zoomed through a gap in some treetops in the distance. I thought it might be a broad winged hawk but am unsure of that, I'm not too familiar with birds of prey.
Taken in Nova Scotia, Canada on Feb 1st of this year.

Attachments

• 01-02-2015 051fs (Large).jpg
    01-02-2015 051fs (Large).jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 157
I think you may be right. I looked up 6 or 8 birds of prey trying to match this up but didn't think of the RTH till a few minutes ago. That's the closest match for coloration so I'm gonna go with that. Thanks KC!

The dark marked patagium (leading edge of the wing close to the body) is a really good field mark for separating out flying Red-tailed Hawks; no other raptor has these.

Andy

The rule of thumb in North America is, first, rule out a Red-tail. This is a Red-tail.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back