• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flicker is at it again... (1 Viewer)

mikal

Well, that northern flicker is calling his mate again. It would sure be nice if he didn't use our chimney though... Every single morning, he drops by and bangs on the chimney cap. (Similar to this guy in this online pic)

Attachments

• flicker.jpg
    flicker.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 48
Nothing better than sheet metal for a truly impressive bout of drumming! Won’t last forever, fortunately. . ..

We get one every spring. I'm just hoping there's no damage to the cap. These guys are really good at making holes. And the sound at 5-6AM in the morning is not quite the alarm clock I'd like to wake up to...haha... It sounds pretty much like this... Extremely loud Flicker drumming at 6am VIDEO

I'm told we need to hang mirrors but it's kind of difficult to put up on the roof.

Can you get up there to tie a temporary sheet of rubber over the top? It'll stop when it realises 'thb thb thb' doesn't sound as good as 'CLANG CLANG CLANG' 3:)

Exactly the same thing happens to us every year. The flicker drums on the chimney cap and the sound travels down the flue. It is annoying but only lasts for a few weeks and I doubt if they are doing any damage.. I've seen them do the same thing on top of telephone poles that have a metal cap.

One of our local greater spotted woodpeckers does his spring drumming on our soffit boards. Obviously, it makes a good sounding board for him. However, last year he decided to use the section immediately above my head. Boy, was that loud ! and far too early for an alarm clock. This year, the other corner has been more popular, so not such an early awakening.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back