• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Truck load of eagles (1 Viewer)

davedorsey

Rehab Grunt
I had to post this picture of 2 bald eagles in the back of my old Dodge. We were on our way to the flight center after they spent some time in our rehab clinic.

Attachments

• P7280004_1.jpg
    P7280004_1.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 181
I think I'm sure. The immature on the left probably won't be with us long. He flew a good distance right from the kennel. Fresh salmon for these guys everyday until they get their strength up to leave us.

LOL, was just kidding with you, Dave. The last time I saw a bird in one of these carriers was an albatross that had crashed onto a beach in LA and was initially thought to be a Black-browed but was in fact a Laysan. I just couldn't see what species of bird it was in your carriers (maybe my monitor is too dark) so had to be a bit of a smartaleck. ;)

Not a problem, I got the joke. They stayed towards the front of the carriers until I would point the camera at them. Maybe a little camera shy.

The carriers are the best way we have found to transport them. The bottoms are lined with astro turf and they have a low perch (as long as they can set on a perch).

Hi Dave,

Thank you and all other bird rehabbers for the vital work you do getting all birds fit and well. After their time at the flight centre will they be released into the wild where they belong for everyone to enjoy? Or will they have to remain with the centre? with fresh salmon on the menu a lot of people I know would like to book in. Great food great views what more could you ask for.

It would be great if you can keep us updated on the Bald Eagles with a pic. if possible, although probably difficult due to the remote wilderness you have up there. How I envy you and them.

Well done and thank you again.

Ann

Hi Ann,

Thank you for thanking me for doing something that I enjoy. We have some great volunteers that take on the task 7 days a week.

Most of the eagles at the flight center will be released back to the wild in time. Our goal for all birds is for them to be released back to the wild. Right now our success rate is 45%. The bird must prove that it can survive on it's own before it will be released. Those that aren't released are used in our education program to teach the public about our wild birds. Sometimes they are placed in other facilities approved by the USF&W for long term care.

Check out my weblog for updates on all of the birds at Bird TLC. There are also plenty of pictures. I update it frequently.

A CHAPLIN said:
Hi Dave,

Thank you and all other bird rehabbers for the vital work you do getting all birds fit and well. After their time at the flight centre will they be released into the wild where they belong for everyone to enjoy? Or will they have to remain with the centre? with fresh salmon on the menu a lot of people I know would like to book in. Great food great views what more could you ask for.

It would be great if you can keep us updated on the Bald Eagles with a pic. if possible, although probably difficult due to the remote wilderness you have up there. How I envy you and them.

Well done and thank you again.

Ann
_______
Off topic: still waiting for a pic of Sir Tom Finney, my childhood soccer hero.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back