• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (5 Viewers)

Oooo - now that's an interesting trick. But you're right to flag up the downside.

Not very exciting, but I managed to squeeeze in 10mins with the old scrubbing brush and slow medium- so ripples back under control. Time to throw it in the pile and get on with something more exciting I think, but its been a useful little exercise.

Attachments

• DSC_0122.JPG
    DSC_0122.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 70
yes, that looks better, time to move on, nothing blocks creativity more than thinking too much and this one's been thought about long enough, onto something else and then look at it in a few weeks. Cracking little painting though, I love how the legs are allowed to be as fluorescent as they sometimes seem.

Ahhrggh!! You've not been at the black and decker surely?

A real case of less is more but only on the ripples not the whole comp!

Mike

Fun with a Lapwing in stubble yesterday afternoon before the snowstorm came- it had its rear end facing a blasting wind and blasting light so all I really wanted to catch was the white flash where the flank feathers flared out. More than a touch of displaying Great Bustard. Then I semi-wrecked the sketch by overpainting it indoors this evening. Then last is a cheat- painty sketch re-scanned in at -40 brightness before vicious crop on computah..

Attachments

• 600lapwing 001 copy.jpg
    600lapwing 001 copy.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 600scanlapwing 3 copy.jpg
    600scanlapwing 3 copy.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 57
  • 600lapwing 2 copy.jpg
    600lapwing 2 copy.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 66
Big thumbs of for the Lapper, great pose which easily holds interest in the piece. Might you be tempted to develop this on a larger scale?
...must say the colour work has much going for it as it is...

It is a terrific drawing and a fine piece of sketcho-journalism, bt I disagree that you've spoilt it with the application of colour. Works really well for me.

Very CLOSE to overpainting - careful now, but you stopped at just the right time - the cleaner parts shine out all the more for having some near-mud colours and you've got a very bold lappy with some gorgeous green, and very noticeable undertail coverts - which I think the lappy would be very pleased to have!

That lappy is almost begging to be developed as a larger scale (At least that's what I think it's begging for ;-P)

It would make for some seriously lovely colours with so much sexy covert on show!

Mike

Hello all- flaunty Lapwing put on one side for further thought.

Meantimes I have set myself task of doing a flock of something, so it came down to choice of Waxwings or Snow Buntings this weekend and hopefully it is apparent from a biro skit which I went for...there should be 46 of them spinning off the shingle and away when/if I get in onto canvas in presentable form. So we shall see.

Also I feel it is time I had an avatar, so Mergboy gets an outing.

Attachments

• snow b.jpg
    snow b.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 63
Snowflakes looking good so far - nice rhythmic flow to the swirl. Ought to present an interesting challenge in colour.
Merg-boy is a definite winner (although my terrible ID skills had 'him' prematurely logged as 'Shag-Man'). Sorry.

ah, this will be a challenge - but one worth pursuing - there is a terrific little bird in there doing exactly what I sketched one doing the last time I saw one - just lifting its wings up a little and looking really fat.

Mergboy is great as an avatar - I feel inspired to get a haircut now.

Snowflakes looking good so far - nice rhythmic flow to the swirl. Ought to present an interesting challenge in colour.
Merg-boy is a definite winner (although my terrible ID skills had 'him' prematurely logged as 'Shag-Man'). Sorry.

Hmmm- wise words on colour. Think Snow Bunting and one thinks cold and wintry black + white, but actually in a flock of mostly females and first winters like this one there was a lot of warm reddish browns + white on display.

Hmmm- wise words on colour. Think Snow Bunting and one thinks cold and wintry black + white, but actually in a flock of mostly females and first winters like this one there was a lot of warm reddish browns + white on display.

Really looking forward to seeing these snow buntings painted, from the sketch it looks like it's gonna be another instant classic. Definitely one well suited to the Keeble style I think.

Who's writing the songs for Birdforum:The Musical? Looks like you've got the costumes about sorted!

ooh! Birdforum the musical!!! what a good idea (sorry, having a little 'jazz-hands' moment there, blame work followed by Martini)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back