• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1st win. Yellow-legged Gull/1st win. Herring Gull (1 Viewer)

Samuel Perfect

I'm still in confusion over telling apart 1st winter Yellow-legged Gulls and 1st winter Herring Gulls, would anyone have any advise. My knowledge only extends as far as Herring Gulls tend to have a serrated edge to the tertials whilst YLGulls have no serration on the tertials, I'm also not sure whether this is a reliable method for telling the species apart. I'm fairly sure the first and last images are of Herring Gulls but I am unsure about the second image, is it another 1st win. Herring Gull?
Any opinions welcome,
Samuel

Attachments

• Watford RSPB trip to Tring 198.jpg
    Watford RSPB trip to Tring 198.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 70
  • gull1.jpg
    gull1.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 130
  • gull2.jpg
    gull2.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 88
all 3 are herring gulls. fyling one is compact, short and broad winged. middle one with weak bill, strongly checkered inner greater coverts and late in scap moult, while YLG usually has all scaps (different looking) renewed and often some coverts too. 3rd is quite a typical HG.

Hi Lou,
the second one is a Lesser Black-backed Gull, in my opinion. Note pattern of new scapulars, for instance.

Samuel may be glad to hear it. It is something different from Herring Gull indeed; well spotted!

yupp, i should have payed attention better, that small bill was a bit of a warning. the long wings and tertial pattern matches LBBG better too...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back