• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have You Seen Any of These Birds? (1 Viewer)

Thanks Jos and Mark - I've updated the Opus entries.

Jos, if you don't want it to be included in Opus then let me know and it will be removed.

Whilst I don't particularly object, persons should not be scanning threads and moving pictures to a database without asking the photographer. Had I not checked back on this thread, I would not even know my picture was being used. Aside from copyright, simple politeness would go a long way - not a blunt question (demand) 'Where and when was this taken?'.

Last edited:
You can remove The Mighty Kakapo from the list...I was Nora's Nest-minder in 2002 and got to see Cyndy in her tree-base "burrow"...:0)

White-browed Nuthatch

you might as well go ahead and add all the Burmese endemics to the list: the nuthatch, Hooded Treepie, Burmese Bushlark, White-throated Babbler and Naung Mung Scimitar Babbler.

No one is allowed on Nacorodam, so Narcorodam Hornbill must be out.

Silvery Wood Pigeon and Nicobar Sparrowhawk are rarely, if ever seen....

When you think about it, we still have a lot to learn about hundreds of species!

Zapata rail, Sakalava Rail, Invisible Rail and Inaccessible Island Rail. Each from the different part of the world.

(demand) 'Where and when was this taken?'.

Sorry, Jos, I didn't mean to come across that way... I was just curious because Dave Cox's posting of this species asked if anyone had seen it in Europe. (Impressive to get a photo of this secretive species in the first place-and I wonder how many photos exist of the handful of birds in Donana.)

Colourful Puffleg? Just one of dozens of birds in remote Colombian valleys.
Eaton's Pintail? Kerguelen Shag? How many birders really get the chance?!
Jerdon's Courser? I think this has been seen by just 1 birder since rediscovery.

Not forgetting the Apurimac endemics such as the spinetail and brush-finch. The last birders that tried for those ended up dead!

Did this tragedy happen recently? I saw both quite easily in 2002 at Bosque de Ampay as have most who have visited this site.

Last edited:
Did this tragedy happen recently? I saw both quite easily in 2002 at Bosque de Ampay as have most who have visited this site.

To be fair, it was back when the Shining Path were strongest. I'd always assumed the area was a no go zone ,unless you have rediculous amounts of security due to Apurimac being one of the leading cocaine growing regions in South America. Obviously though there must be a safer place to see these species.

It wasn't anywhere near Bosque de Ampay and it isn't recent. It was in 1990 near Tingo Maria in central Peru. Sendero Luminoso caught two birders that were looking for Oilbirds. They were convinced the birders were from CIA and reacted as one would expect Sendero Luminoso to do (birders and CIA?!?! the birders that were abducted in 1998 in Colombia by FARC were also accused of being CIA initially!). The vast majority of Peru (and a large part of Colombia, too) is now as safe as any other Neotropical country. Post #12 here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=146859

Larry; a fair percentage of the species on the list in post #31 have been seen by various BirdForum members. At least African Green Broadbill, Bulwer's Pheasant, Burmese Bushlark, Eaton's Pintail, Green-breasted Pitta, Hooded Treepie, Sumatran Cochoa, Vogelkop Bowerbird, White-browed Nuthatch, White-throated Babbler, and Grey-winged Cotinga. A small typo in the name of the hornbill; should be Narcondam Hornbill, and it has been seen in recent years, though Narcondam island is a bit of an outpost, even by Andaman standards. The big problem in this region are primarily the various species from the Nicobars (a special permission is needed to visit this island group) rather than the Andamans, which are visited with some regularity by birders. Of course no-one knows what may be hiding in the forests on the isolated North Sentinel Island (certainly has the potential for endemic species), as no birder or biologist ever has visited this island. The validity of the Naung Mung Scimitar Babbler as a separate species is questionable. Nigel Collar and Craig Robson, who certainly know as much about taxonomy and babblers as anyone, placed it as a subspecies of the Indochinese Wren Babbler, Rimator [Jabouilleia] danjoui in HBW vol. 12.

EDIT:
Here's a somewhat related thread (even if a part of the first page ended up as a discussion):
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=33016
(and yes, being from 2005, I am aware that some of the info I gave on pages 2 & 3 in that thread now is out-dated)

Last edited:
I will go through the list and show that some of the birds have been seen by some member of BF (per. comm. Rasmus Boegh). I will also correct any errors in spelling which are brought to my attention.

Any additional help/corrections are greatly appreciated!

Probably extinct, but how about eskimo curlew? (that's me suggesting, not saying I've seen one, btw!)

They still, apparantly, turn up on migration outsides of Galveston TX.
My personal list includes African Green Broadbill ( fairly "easy" in Bwanga forest, Uganda ) Bulwer's Pheasant and Dulit Frogmouth ( took 6 visits to Borneo for these ! ), Giant Ibis, Green-backed Pitta, Kakapo, Inaccessable Is. Rail ( probably one of my all time favourite birds ) + Himalayan Snowcock. I'd like to add Altai Snowcock ( only because I got it this June :t: .
Chris

Not yet reported as seen by any birder viewing this thread:

African Green Broadbill
Aldabra Rail
Bachman's Warbler
Bulwer's Pheasant
Congo Bay Owl
Congo Peacock
Dulit Frogmouth
Green-breasted Pitta
Hawaii O'o
Kakapo
Kinglet Calyptura
Nechisar Nighjar
New Caledonian Owlet-Nightjar
Night Parrot
Passenger Pigeon (now extinct)
Philippine Eagle
Shelley's Eagle-Owl
Small Button-Quail, aka Andalusian Hemipode
Sumatran Cochoa
Vogelkop Bowerbird

Bird reported observed:
Giant Ibis (by Hanno)
Himalayan Snowcock (by James Andrewes and others)
Hyacinth Macaw (by Valéry Schollaert, et. al.)
Large-billed Reed Warbler (by Sumit)

African Green Broadbill & Green-breasted Pitta are both relatively easy in Uganda (Bwindi & Kabale forests respectively). I've seen both.

Ash's and Obbia Lark are much trickier these days

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back