• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden List 2011 (1 Viewer)

An eerie silence at the feeders, barely a bird stirring, the food sitting untouched. Six Nutcrackers dangerously close though, scoffing nuts in the hazel groves maturing in clearings created by beavers. Ten years and more I have tried to attract Nutcrackers to my feeders, ten years and more they have teased, regularly venturing near, even on occasion perching in the trees above the feeders. As per usual, I slunk out extra rations, a healthy dose of peanuts on the bird table, grain scattered around. I don't hold my breathe!

Other welcome returnees in my forest, two Black Woodpeckers back on their winter territories and, yodelling most content, a male Grey-headed Woodpecker atop a dead tree just behind the feeding station. For new birds however, the honours went to humble corvids - largely thanks to a neighbouring farmer ploughing his fields, a flock of some 150 Rooks came tumbling down to scoff grubs in the furrows, the trees on my boundary a convenient resting point between sorties. Species number 108 for the year on my land. One hour later, the Rooks still revelling, in dropped two Jackdaws to join the party, species number 110!

And that was that, I though, turning to leave. An abrupt stop for a raptor passing over - one female Hen Harrier, my second record here this year, bu an excelent bird no less. As harrier turned to a speck on the southern horizon, two more specks appeared fromthe north. Fluid flight, shape materialised, clearly falcons - I had a hope for Red-footed Falcons, small numbers inthe country at present, but as they neared and started to hunt my meadows, the identity fell to Kestrels. Still, a good record - second in three weeks, but only the sixth record ever.

109. Rook
110. Jackdaw

Last edited:
120. velvet scoter
Also, failing to trouble the scorers, our first record of black swan - where's that vomiting smiley when you need one!

Rob

Starting a list

Hi all. Just wanted to pop by and let you know you've motivated me to start compiling a Garden List. Living in a city suburb it will be a slow burner. At least I can live vicariously through your lists ;)

Michele

No. 1-5

Ok, here is the start of my list (all common garden species for this area/time of year).....

1. Spotted Dove
2. Common Myna
3. Rainbow Lorikeet
4. Little Raven
5. Noisy Miner
6. Red Wattlebird
7. Australian Magpie

Michele

I was thinking of contributing too but could not hope to compete with the top listers. My new place is nowhere near as good as my old CBD balcony!

I wonder if I might get away with posting a 'work' list...;)

I know what you mean re not being able to post as large a list as others, but it would be good to see other Aust posters. I have found that I am enjoying popping outside hoping to spot something new, and I don't think of it as a competition - more a way of letting others know about my local birds. How about scoping from your balcony? ;)

I know what you mean re not being able to post as large a list as others, but it would be good to see other Aust posters. I have found that I am enjoying popping outside hoping to spot something new, and I don't think of it as a competition - more a way of letting others know about my local birds. How about scoping from your balcony? ;)
All I can see from my current balcony is closed canopy rainforest. Great you might say, but it does mean that you can't see any fly overs. For those, I have to look out of my study window at the small patch of sky visible. I'm getting better at the calls, but I still hear things I can't recognise.

I considered posting a work list because the hospital I work in is on the Esplanade. I've recorded some pretty good stuff whilst at work lately.

You're right though that an Aussie perspective to this thread might add something a bit different even if it's only us who might be interested. You've already posted stuff I never see up here!

I considered posting a work list because the hospital I work in is on the Esplanade. I've recorded some pretty good stuff whilst at work lately.

You're right though that an Aussie perspective to this thread might add something a bit different even if it's only us who might be interested. You've already posted stuff I never see up here!

Well given that you technically don't have a garden, and for purely selfish reasons (so I can start familiarising myself with the birds of FNQ), I think it would be ok for you to post your 'work' birds here. I'm sure others would also be interested.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back