• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why aren't birds visiting my feeder? (1 Viewer)

wendypc

Hi! I am a new birdwatcher, and I just hung my first bird feeder in the backyard yesterday. We usually see quite a few birds in our yard (robins, blue jays, cardinals, crows, sparrows, woodpeckers), but we have yet to see one visit our feeder. Is this normal? Is it just that they don't know about this new food source yet? Supposedly this feeder (Squirrel Buster Classic) & food/seed blend are appropriate for the birds in our area (according to the owner of the wild birds store). Is there anything else that I need to do to get the birds to feed at our feeder? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sometimes it takes a few days - or even weeks for the birds to start using the feeder. Just make sure the food doesn't get wet and mold. Also there is a lot of natural food around at this time of year and they will feed on that. Give it a few weeks and I bet you will see a lot of birds at the feeder.

Wendy, that would also help. Birds love to play in the water - and drink it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back