• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2013 (1 Viewer)

If anyone is interested - I currently have an "extended" garden view on a near permanent webcam. Just now its pointing into the mouth of the Mersey.... see my signature for a link

The sounds are from the front garden though

Red Letter Day!

First day of significant autumn movement today, a constant passage of Jays overhead, quite a few Wood Pigeons too, but first good species of the day was Crossbill, a party flying over. A trickle of Great Tits and Long-tailed Tits too, plus Chiffchaffs, etc.

Rare indeed is it that I find a new species for my land these days, but sitting on the water beyond my feeders, slinking along with a few Mallards, one EURASIAN WIGEON, not a species I expected inside the forest! As all the ducks flushed, a Garganey also rose from the reeds, also a pretty good bird (a pair bred several years ago, but no other records).

Also Great Grey Shrike back, I presume, for the winter and a jolly bunch of woodpecker on and around the feeders - Black, Grey-headed , White-backed and Middle Spotted heading the cast.

122. Eurasian Wigeon
123. Garganey
124. Crossbill

Last edited:
Just released I have now broken my all time highest year total - got 123 species last year and that was a record, now on 124 with three months to go (but think I will struggle to get more than one or two more).

A nice bit of wader passage during the recent windy conditions have helped me reach 120.

114 Sooty Shearwater
115 Avocet
116 Grey Plover
117 Ringed Plover
118 Golden Plover
119 Gadwall
120 Ruff

Red Letter Day Mark II

Two days after Wigeon, yet another new species for my land in the form of Water Rail! In recent years, I have frequently only found a couple of new species per year, so two in three days is pretty neat.

125. Water Rail.

Last edited:
Blimey Charlie!
What a cracking autumn you're already having!
I've barely been able to see owt in the last couple of days; except rain.

Red Letter Day Mark II

Two days after Wigeon, yet another new species for my land in the form of Water Rail! In recent years, I have frequently only found a couple of new species per year, so two in three days is pretty neat.

125. Water Rail.

That's one less than I've seen in 30 years!...but then...I only have a small garden :(

Though Parasitic Jaeger (Arctic Skua) would've been a very nice garden tick too, Long-tailed is bloody amazing!

I think DomF living in Cairns' Northern Beaches has Arctic Skua on his Garden List.

Long-tailed is the only Northern Hemisphere skua that I haven't had over the house yet - being on the sea front is perhaps an unfair advantage though

After two months of looking the third wader finally put an appearance in this afternoon. And not just one, but thirty-one

Lapwings

distantly heading south.

Yesterday all the hirundines disappeared which has left the sky rather empty.
Four geese heading north were the first for the house:

Greylag goose.

Day of the raptors ..the autumn swing continues. High over Labanoras and through the forest, a steady trickle of raptors to enliven the day. All southbound, a continual drift of Sparrowhawks on the move, quite a few Common Buzzards and a Hobby too, but amongst these, the 'big boys' ...all in short succession, making the best of a window in the weather, no less than four Lesser Spotted Eagles and, rather less common on my land, two mighty White-tailed Eagles, adults both. Also one very large female Goshawk hunting Mallards in the flood forest and, away from the raptors, a couple of Common Cranes also southbound and two Woodlarks, my only records so far in 2013.

126. Woodlark.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back