• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Signs of spring? (1 Viewer)

I didn't see my first swallow last year until May 1st, so presumably this year will be the same.

Birds are nesting despite the cold, here there is a local flock of jackdaws which are quite tolerant of humans, recently I came across one with a large amount of tissue paper in its beak

any signs of the weather returning to normal? Here max forecast today 4C add windchill -3C BBC news predicting no change for the next 10 days

Last edited:
Almost every year for the last 12 or so years i've had my first Willow Warbler on either the 1st or 2nd April, usually N Wales/Wirral type areas.
Still waiting....

Here at the Dyfi Osprey Project, at Montgomeryshire Wilidlife Trust's reserve of Cors Dyfi, neither of the resident Ospreys are back yet, with the female almost 12 days later than last year, and the male 3 days later. However, on the reserve itself, a Chiffchaff was first seen/heard on the 17th of March last year, and it was only yesterday when I saw the first one - 18 days later!!

Up until yesterday morning, the forecast was for low pressure to come in from the Atlantic in a couple of days time and bring milder wetter SWerlies... and migrants. However it now seems that this high pressure system is going to repel the depressions for another couple of days at least!

Last edited:
Should be Tuesday according to both BBC weather and the met office.

Finally heard my first chiff-chaff yesterday. A good month later than usual.

Good numbers of hirundines in Cheshire yesterday and today. Nationally yesterday 4 Temminck's Stints in Kent, 26 Garganey, 36 Firecrests, 56 Ring Ousels and 59 Black Redstarts. Belated news of Red-flanked Bluetail in Norfolk on Apr 6th.

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back