• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Using binoculars in humid conditions (1 Viewer)

dwatsonbirder

Hello,

In just over a month I will be in the Neotropics for 10 weeks, undertaking travelling and some work.
I have not visited any rainforest environment before and wondered if anybody had any useful information with regards using binoculars in these conditions.
I use a pair of SLC's which are fully waterproof. I have had no issues with them so far, but obviously I don't want the binoculars to fog internally, would the use of silica gel in the case make any difference?

Many thanks!

I use a pair of SLC's which are fully waterproof. I have had no issues with them so far

This sounds like you don't need to worry much for your binocular, no need to pack it with silica gel.
If you have a camera, however, you should take some care to avoid fungus growth. Packing silica gel into the normal case doesn't help much, it would quickly loose its adsoprtion capacity. You need one of those airtight boxes to store your equipment and put some silica gel in there.

Agreed. I wouldn't worry about your binoculars at all. As long as their seals are intact there should be no issues using them in the tropics. I've done a lot of traveling in rainforests (Costa Rica, Panama, Borneo, etc) and never had any issues with even cheaper binoculars like Nikon Monarch or Eagle Optics Rangers. I'm sure your Swaros will do just fine.

Like he said, it's the electronics (cameras etc) that you have to worry about more.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back