• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2016 - World Yearlist Record Attempt (2 Viewers)

Dorian Anderson did a big year in the USA purely by bike in 2014 - peddled almost 18000 miles, got knocked over by a car once, crossed 28 states and notched up 618 species, the first species of the year being Snowy Owl and the last Smith's Longspur. Wouldn't even go on sailboat pelagics as they have to use their engines to exit port, so it would seem about as green as could be.

Going much beyond that would be pretty impressive.

Surely you could absolutely thrash that by cycling around South America or Africa for a year?

A few bits & bobs about Arjan's schedule:

Upped his game now and aiming for 6000+ species

Americas now planned with 1 week Surinam, 3 weeks Brazil, 2 weeks Argentina, 1 week Chile, 4 weeks Peru, 2 weeks Ecuador & 3.5 weeks Colombia. He was also considering cutting Spain down to 1-2 days in order to visit Trinidad - not sure he's going through with that. Aiming for 2500 species in those 4 months in South America.

Adding Ethiopia and Malawi as main differentials to Noah's itinerary, but couldn't fit in Gabon. Will do 16 days in Kenya (aiming for 800+) and will be aiming for 1500-1600 species in Africa (overall time spent there will be similar).

Less time spent in Asia than Noah. No Taiwan & China, but will spend time in northern Thailand and northeastern India (Assam) - species overlap with Myanmar & Sichuan.

December focus on Caribbean, Mexico & USA but final schedule left open for alternative destinations.

J

Thanks. Glad to see it. Before posting, I did in fact click on the link, reviewed it quickly, and searched for "warming" and "climate" (or something like that). Which yielded nothing. But my main goal was to make sure the issue was raised in this thread, because it had not even been mentioned so far and there is a significant chance of all this discussion generating more such attempts by people who will not take such steps.

If I did a global big year, I certainly would take such steps. (Though I'm not planning any such attempt). Global big years are surely the most carbon intensive endeavor in all of birding bar none. [EDIT: Frankly, at this point in the history of the planet, they strike me, to borrow a book title, as "a supremely bad idea."]

Far far far bigger issues in the world than this, god help us we will start to call the Wright Brothers for starting this global crisis. I think you should be looking at why economies such as the Chinese do their level best to cause Global warming on a scale that is hard to comprehend.

A few individuals flying around the world looking for birds is insignificant in comparison and it seems that it is your way of belittling the whole project

I think you should be looking at why economies such as the Chinese do their level best to cause Global warming on a scale that is hard to comprehend.
That's a bit unfair given that China's per capita CO2 emissions are still less than half those of (eg) USA, Canada, Australia, Saudi Arabia, UAE.

Far far far bigger issues in the world than this, god help us we will start to call the Wright Brothers for starting this global crisis. I think you should be looking at why economies such as the Chinese do their level best to cause Global warming on a scale that is hard to comprehend.

Simple....cheap domestic coal.

Andy

So Noah's additional locations:-
Antarctica & Falklands - 7 days
Iceland, Norway & Germany - 6 days
Turkey - 4 days
Cameroon - 9 days
Bali - 1 day
Taiwan - 3 days
Borneo - 7 days
Myanmar - 7 days
Sichuan (China) - 7 days
Total - 825 additions

Arjan's additional locations:-
Surinam - 7 days
Dominican Republic - 2 days
Trinidad - 2 days
Cuba - 3 days
Israel - 3 days
Netherlands - 4 days
Ethiopia - 7 days
Malawi - 7 days
Java - 3 days

It may come down to how Noah's additional 10 days in Australia go?

All the best

I don't think that birders have to send a message.

The only thing that birders have to do is look at birds - otherwise they are not birders.

It is up to individuals whether they do that in an environmentally sensitive way, in a way that gathers data, or in a way that just makes them feel pretty good/bad/indifferent about themselves.

Indeed. It's best not to get too priggish about these matters. What will solve "global warming"--if it's ever solved--is massive intervention by governments, not green posturing by hobbyists.

Last edited:
Without wishing to be a downer on Arjan, I hope that Noah's record stands for quite some time ...'tis a magnificent effort he is doing and if it stands as a benchmark for quite some years, then it will go down as a true epic. Whatever, as well as obvious good planning, Noah certainly has had a lot of good fortune (seeing many species that trips of many days often miss), plus it would seem luck with weather, hell of a lot of stamina and no a jot of illness ...this combination must mean it is going to be a hell of a job to beat!

A few individuals flying around the world looking for birds is insignificant in comparison and it seems that it is your way of belittling the whole project

There are far bigger issues in the world than most all the things that are discussed in this forum, so what? That doesn't mean we should ignore smaller issues. "Think globally, act locally" is a maxim we would all do well to follow. Small matters, in the aggregate, make a difference.

As for belittling the "project", that is a baseless accusation. I am a global birder myself and take global birding trips on a regular basis. I think it is important to support ecotourism especially in developing countries, but do worry about the impact of even my more limited travel. I think a global big year would be a fun project which I might try myself once retired if these were different times--i.e. if this was not the small window of time in which humanity has an opportunity to prevent serious global warming. I also find it unfortunate that some one merely raising the issue of whether global big years are a good idea should have his motivations challenged for no reason at all.

Last edited:
Indeed. It's best not to get too priggish about these matters. What will solve "global warming"--if it's ever solved--is massive intervention by governments, not green posturing by hobbyists.

Yes, well we know ad hominem attacks are your specialty on this forum. You respond to those who disagree by name calling, such as labeling them a "coalition of the ignorant" or "posturing" "hobbyists".

I don't think that birders have to send a message.

Both Noah and the birder that is subject of the original link in this thread are intentionally seeking all the publicity they can for their efforts. So whether or not birders have to send a message, these two are certainly intent on sending one--by their actions as well as their words. Have no ill will at all towards either of them by the way, and certainly applaud their intention to offset the effects of their travels.

Last edited:
There are far bigger issues in the world than all the things that are discussed in this forum, so what? That doesn't mean we should ignore smaller issues. "Think globally, act locally" is a maxim we would all do well to follow. Small matters, in the aggregate, make a difference.

As for belittling the "project", that is a baseless accusation. I am a global birder myself and take global birding trips on a regular basis. I think it is important to support ecotourism especially in developing countries, but do worry about the impact of even my more limited travel. I think a global big year would be a fun project which I might try myself once retired if these were different times--i.e. if this was not the small window of time in which humanity has an opportunity to prevent serious global warming. I also find it unfortunate that some one merely raising the issue of whether global big years are a good idea should have his motivations challenged for no reason at all.

OK that's your view and that's fair enough Jim :t: I am surprised that with you being a global birder you should be questioning Noah's ethics of global travel on this project. That doesn't make sense, I thought you would sympathise with the project and not question it, especially accusing Noah's and Arjans trips of "sending the wrong message"? Double standards? There is no wrong message, Just let them enjoy the experience and yes, inspire others. I wish I could do an epic big year as would most other birders across the world.

Yes, well we know ad hominem attacks are your specialty on this forum. You respond to those who disagree by name calling, such as labeling them a "coalition of the ignorant" or "posturing" "hobbyists".

Ah, you're also an anti-GMOer. Why am I not surprised?

Without wishing to be a downer on Arjan, I hope that Noah's record stands for quite some time ...'tis a magnificent effort he is doing and if it stands as a benchmark for quite some years, then it will go down as a true epic. Whatever, as well as obvious good planning, Noah certainly has had a lot of good fortune (seeing many species that trips of many days often miss), plus it would seem luck with weather, hell of a lot of stamina and no a jot of illness ...this combination must mean it is going to be a hell of a job to beat!

I think that it will be interesting comparison. But either way, Noah's effort will remain the pioneering one regardless of whether it is beaten. The patterns are very similar - though in reverse. The combined data from both would undoubtedly provide a template for a future approach. That approach will provide a greater crack at some of the species not on these itineraries.

What would be interesting would be to strip out all of the species that are inaccessible within the constraints of the timetable of a yearlist. What percentage of a maximum realistic total has Noah actually achieved?

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Fagpacket Comparison (02.11.15).docx
    15.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
That's a bit unfair given that China's per capita CO2 emissions are still less than half those of (eg) USA, Canada, Australia, Saudi Arabia, UAE.

Looking at the source data here:
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.ATM.CO2E.PC/
I'm not confident in the numbers.
For example, China produces about 750mm tons of steel annually, 10 times as much as the US, but it is unclear whether the coke involved is captured in these statistics, as just fuel use and cement production are included sources.

In any case, it seems clear that nothing can get decided in Paris which would reduce global CO2 production before 2030. An economic collapse seems the most likely driver of any reductions in CO2 output, or more optimistically, emergence of a cheap and robust nuclear power process.

So I'd cheer Noah's efforts, he highlights the wonders we all are inheritors of.
If that raises the political awareness of the treasures hidden in nature even a little, it will be well worth the price.

What would be interesting would be to strip out all of the species that are inaccessible within the constraints of the timetable of a yearlist. What percentage of a maximum realistic total has Noah actually achieved?

You mean other than a ridiculously high percentage? ;)
I suppose it comes down to personal choices and whether there are any "must-see" birds on the list. For example, was it worth going after that Spoon-billed Sandpiper (or Philippine Eagle in Arjan's case) or heading down to Antarctica for a bunch of penguins? Purely from a numbers point of view probably not, but hey, I would've done the same thing!

I was also thinking about which countries I'd pick to cover the Western Palearctic, as the itineraries differ quite strongly in that region. Highest on my list would probably be Azerbaijan, Finland/Varanger, Spain (incl Mallorca?) with Belarus, Morocco and SE France close seconds. Other favourites?

J

P.S. Paul he's splitting his time in Malaysia between the peninsula (5 days) and Borneo (8 days).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back