• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinovid 8x20 strange collimation problem (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
When I check my 7 year old compact Trinovids, I notice they need some readjusting. I am not really aware of having banged them anywhere, but horizontal lines are no longer at the same level in the two barrels. However, if I fold these barrels the other way (something that can no longer be done with the Ultravids), the lines are just about right again. There is still a slight difference, but nowhere near what the proper folding shows. In fact, the binoculars can be used comfortably in this way. I now wonder why there is this difference. Is it that the two hinges are not exactly parallel and thus compensate to some degree? And if that is the case, I suspect there must also be some differences in well collimated binoculars depending on how far the barrels are folded out.

Swissboy said:
When I check my 7 year old compact Trinovids, I notice they need some readjusting. I am not really aware of having banged them anywhere, but horizontal lines are no longer at the same level in the two barrels. However, if I fold these barrels the other way (something that can no longer be done with the Ultravids), the lines are just about right again. There is still a slight difference, but nowhere near what the proper folding shows. In fact, the binoculars can be used comfortably in this way. I now wonder why there is this difference. Is it that the two hinges are not exactly parallel and thus compensate to some degree? And if that is the case, I suspect there must also be some differences in well collimated binoculars depending on how far the barrels are folded out.

Robert,

If it worked well before, my guess is that the problem has to do with lens component movement inside one or both barrels. Depending upon the nature of the movement, it could look better one way than the other, but I'd send them to Leica for re-collimation anyway. Time alone can have adverse effects on the cement or lens clamps. In my case, Swarovski has corrected similar issues.

Ed

elkcub said:
Robert,

If it worked well before, my guess is that the problem has to do with lens component movement inside one or both barrels. Depending upon the nature of the movement, it could look better one way than the other, but I'd send them to Leica for re-collimation anyway. Time alone can have adverse effects on the cement or lens clamps. In my case, Swarovski has corrected similar issues.

Ed

Thanks, Ed, I did not think such a problem might happen without banging the binoculars somewhere. I'll have to check whether I still find my warrany card then.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back