• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does anyone know how to discourage pigeons from coming on the feeder (1 Viewer)

Shelly928

I know they need to eat too ans I don’t mind as long as there are a few at a time but when I seen them on th feeder pecking at the little guys I started putting the food that they knock off caught in my net and putting it
Out on th street. Now I’m torn thinking I may have to take the feeder down bc I don’t want to be the pigeon house bc my neighbors won’t be too happy about that neither will I. Something I started that was peaceful has now become major stress bc all I do is shoo them off th feeder trying to point to the food on the ground and in the street. And they are pretty smart bc they follow where I point. I feel so badly but if I don’t come up with something soon I will
Be forced to take the feeder down or just putting it out a few days a week

They have feeders that the ports will close when something of heavier weight perches on them. The ones I use are called "squirrel busters" Whenever a larger bird perches, the port closes and they can't access the seed.

The famous squirrel buster squirrel proof bird feeder is actually a great choice for deterring pigeons, too. The reason is that the mechanism that closes the feeding ports is weight activated. A single squirrel is heavy enough to cause the ports to close. A single pigeon might not be enough, but two will surely be enough to close the ports. Here's the feeder: https://birdbathsforsale.com/squirrel-proof-bird-feeder/

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back