• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Holywell Bay - Cornwall in August (1 Viewer)

PaulAshton

I took the family to Holywell Bay caravan park nr Newquay - Cornwall for a weeks hols. While there we did the usual sand castles, swimming and ice cream overdoses, but also got in a good bit of wildlife watching.

When not on the beach I manaaged to get the fam to come on walks along the the immediate cliff paths and spent some time watching the birds. I spent most of my time on the cliffs around Penhale point and the twin gull islands. There was plenty of peregrine activity and some good sightings of their conflicts with the gulls ove the cliffs and the islands. I also had the pleasure to view a fledged youngster which was sitting on a grassy cliff edge watching me quite a while before i saw it in the grasses.

Fulmars were ever present and often flew close by me. A family of buzzards were using the cliffs and often came close aswell while using the cliffs as a soaring route up away from the beaches. Kestrels were also ever present.

Shags were also a constant presence on the bay.

During the end of the evenings in the camp site we discovered that leaving some chopped apples outside the caravan brought us long and very close views of one or two Badgers around the midnight hour; once we'd switched all the lights off and the site was quiet. I didn't know they were such noisy eaters and it was interesting to see they often brought the food back up for a second munch. They also had no probelm with a torch being focused on them, but ran if a caravan side light was switched on.

While walking across the nearby grasslands towards kelsey head we witnessed a buzzard taking a snake, but with the sun in our faces we couldn't see the type of snake.

A fox was often present on the hilly fields south of West Pentire as rabits were common. Kestrels were common and easy to get close to, aswell as Wheatear that sat on the cliff edge/grasses.

While on the beach we also often saw small groups of sanderlings that were dashing up and down with the tide flows.

A smashing location for both family and wildlife watching.. not forgetting the Rattler cider!B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back