• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

September, Northeast US, wetlands meadows, no wingbars. (1 Viewer)

Kelly Colgan Azar

Hello Birders,
Would you please id this bird for me: no wingbars and the rest you can see in the photo. Wetlands meadow, September. Thanks a million for your help!
Best to you,
Kelly

Attachments

• NoWingBarsDSC4375-Edit.jpg
    NoWingBarsDSC4375-Edit.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 138
Yellow-rumped Warblers have yellow on their sides, not in the middle of breast.

They can look grayish in color and the females and immatures have barely noticeable wing bar.

I'm sticking with a drab Fall Cape May.

Also, the gray tips at end of tail from underneath looks like Cape May … not quite the same pattern as Yellow-rumped.

Also, the gray tips at end of tail from underneath looks like Cape May … not quite the same pattern as Yellow-rumped.

Beth, I agree - I must admit I hadn't realised how superficially similar the two species are, the tail should have been the give away! I've seen Yellow-rumped with some yellow pollen staining on the face and chest in the past, but this is clearly a plumage feature rather than the result of over enthusiastic feeding.

Beth, I agree - I must admit I hadn't realised how superficially similar the two species are, the tail should have been the give away! I've seen Yellow-rumped with some yellow pollen staining on the face and chest in the past, but this is clearly a plumage feature rather than the result of over enthusiastic feeding.

Pollen staining would definitely confuse things lol. Yes, the blurry streaks and similar color can confuse the issue. However, I find the Myrtle (eastern sub-species) in the Fall to look more brown/gray and the Cape May a dull gray (no brown).

Dear Gilmore Girl, dwatsonbirder, KC Foggin, dantheman, The Bird Nuts,
Thank you very much for your wonderful expertise! I love the "Cape May Warbler" opinion and think, looking at another photo of the bird, that you may be right. Don't know how to post the other photo to the same thread however, so I won't submit it. But thank you a million for your help.
You're the best!
Regards and appreciation,
Kelly

Thank you, Gilmore Girl, that's very funny. I am grateful for your expertise and thrilled to have seen a Cape Mar warbler.
Have a good weekend,
Best regards,
Kelly

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back