• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (2 Viewers)

Thanks Paul - yes, its used but new to me. Previous owner fitted a WO Focuser too. Very nice scope, quite light weight compared to the last SW 120 i had

Great shots, everyone. Is nice to see so many people getting good results out of their scopes.
Musoman, glad to see you back on the ED80 ;)

No images from me today, but here's a video from last weekend (warning 17.5Mb), D90+ TL APO+ DOI 1.5xTC:
http://fernandobatista.smugmug.com/Galeria/Videos/17176199_frBLgj#1496479982_rJGH8Mz-L-LB

The quality could be much better, but it's not the scopes fault, the D90 video is really really soft. That and the compression to bring it to a decent size.

Cango: great shots... love them
Musoman: I really like the seagull
Fernando: nice to see a video; have you tried to follow a bird - I mean changing focus while filming?

just realised you got two videos there Fernando.... second one is the best if you ask me

Last edited:
have you tried to follow a bird - I mean changing focus while filming?
Yes, it's really not that difficult, only slightly more than regular image shooting, because the back display isn't as good as the OVF for detail. This is on the D90, with another camera that may well be very different, depending only on the quality of the viewfinder (photos) vs the display (videos).

Now the real issue is stability, to track down a moving animal in a motion video you really do need a stable tripod and head, mine is already quite stable but to get really good and steady moving images it must be even better or you'll see a lot of shake in the video.

just realised you got two videos there Fernando.... second one is the best if you ask me
Yes there's two...so far ;) But the link was only meant for the first one, the other video is already a few months old.
I'll probably be adding a few more to this gallery in time. Not that video is my thing, but is nice to see the animal really moving or hanging around for a change :)

Thanks Paul.

Pete, so you are back to 80ED? Good to have you back LOL. So what happened to the 120? Will be expecting more beautiful shots coming up from you.

Fernando, was that taken with the Short Tube? Would be nice to couple up a video camera onto the scope. Even then the pic were excellent.

Some more with the Orion 80ED

Attachments

• Can Gees food.jpg
    Can Gees food.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 291
  • Juv GCG 2-1024.jpg
    Juv GCG 2-1024.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 295
  • Lapwing fly.jpg
    Lapwing fly.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 378
  • Sub Swan1024.jpg
    Sub Swan1024.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 271
Musoman: you're getting really good results with your Orion. Third pic is very good considering how hard it is for BIF with astroscopes (at least I think so)

(thanks everyone for commenting on my pics. appreciated :) )

Thanks Cango - yes i struggle with BIF because of the lack of luxuries that our AF friends take for granted. I had to use a " spray and pray " technique because of using a scope, but also because these Lapwings dont seem to know which direction they want to fly in. Its a really odd looking flight pattern.... and i got one fairly decent ( not sharp enough for me though ) shot out of about 10 or 11

(how much of a crop?)
It's 2000x1500 pixel crop resized to 1024X768 and denoised in NeatImage. Bird was circling against the wind slowly.
Two photos of osprey I took while bird was busy with hunting, early in the morning with difficult contrasty light. Both handheld.

Attachments

• osprey.jpg
    osprey.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 278
  • osprey2.jpg
    osprey2.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 303
It's 2000x1500 pixel crop resized to 1024X768 and denoised in NeatImage. Bird was circling against the wind slowly.
Two photos of osprey I took while bird was busy with hunting, early in the morning with difficult contrasty light. Both handheld.

great shots! How the heck do you handhold while focusing? Do you first pre-focus somewhat or? Even though, you'll have to have very long thumbs - or do you focus with the same hand you hold the camera with? (shifting back and forth)

Weather is starting to cool down again and so time to get out the scope and camera. Chipping Sparrow (winter plumage); House Finch (male); Yellow-rumped Warbler (winter plumage).

Celestron C80 ED 600mm fl refractor
Nikon D40
ISO 400
all around 40 ft distance

Rick

Attachments

• chippy_93.jpg
    chippy_93.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 287
  • house_050.jpg
    house_050.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 320
  • myrt_089.jpg
    myrt_089.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 290
Beautiful images, Rick. I love the colors, especially in the YRW image! Maybe it's my monitor, but I wonder if you could have exposed a little darker, maybe shot with an even lower ISO??? The house Finch in particular seems slightly washed out. Of course I'm probably not one to criticize, since I've never imaged birds that well through a refractor before. Nicely done. :t:

Beautiful images, Rick. I love the colors, especially in the YRW image! Maybe it's my monitor, but I wonder if you could have exposed a little darker, maybe shot with an even lower ISO??? The house Finch in particular seems slightly washed out. Of course I'm probably not one to criticize, since I've never imaged birds that well through a refractor before. Nicely done. :t:

Thanks for the comments. I do believe you're correct and I could have upped the shutter speed or lowered the ISO a bit, especially on the House Finch.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back