• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED50: The ultimate compromise? (1 Viewer)

I'm happy to announce I got one ed50 coming my way. Had it on my wishlist for end of this year to buy new, but found an as new used one incl the zoom ep for an even bit lower price so couldn't resist. (will have to pass on a cheap replacement demo Vanguard edii for it though)
The zoom ep I will have double so can pass that on so the deal becomes even better. Besides the zoom ep, I have the 16x, 27x and 40x mc's (on my 82ed) so think I'm set now haha. I will let know how I find the little newborn to be.

Thank you, sir! Took some time (and money of course) to collect it all, but I succeeded. I'm curious about the renowned image quality, but also how the 40x wide will perform. I understand the 50mm lens won't let me seawatch with it, that's what the 82ed is for, but if it gives an id'able resolution on a fair distance in fair weather, I'd be pleased. And I'm looking forward to its portability, and versatility.

For me the 40x DS is definitely easier to use than the zoom is at full power, although have only recently acquired that one, so not used in the field yet. Wider view and easier to focus and surprisingly good on the ED50.

I love the 30x MC on my ED82, and the 27x lives on the ED50, with occasional use of the zoom on either. Only missing the 38x/20x which I would like to get one day if I spot one in mint condition going at a good price, as it would be nice to complete the “set”, but the 30x and 27x are so good I shan’t worry too much if the opportunity never arises.

I tried the 30x on the ED50 but it didn’t give the image I hoped for, I did get some of the vignetting Nikon were wary of.

Enjoy the ED50, a great little scope that I tend to use a lot more than the ED82 due to it’s size and weight and more than decent enough image for most uses.

Wow, this puppy weighs next to nothing! Tested it with all my eyepieces, don't see why the 16x wouldn't fit; it has the same amazing bright wide view it gives as 30x on the ed82. But this little scope delivers marvelous images! Sharpness is really wonderful. Focusing is very good, not too fast nor slow to snap into focus nicely. A bit stiffer somewhere in the middle but think that will work out. Bummer was the accompanying zoom eyepiece proved faulty; focus stops halfway and middle part barrel is loose which proved it not sealed anymore to prevent moisture getting in...so will work on that with the seller, see to get some compensation out of that. For the rest I'm happy with this little but quite satisfactory addition to my optics stable :D

Edit: wow, that was settled in a whim and very nicely. Foto Rooijmans, thank you!

Last edited:
Glad you are enjoying your ED50 Richard, 8 years on since I bought my first, I replaced it with an angled version in 2014, and it has been my primary travel scope ever since. The 16x is arguably the best eyepiece on it (albeit slightly under powered) but the 20x and 27x are both great and incredibly sharp.
You have an excellent set up with the ED50 and ED82 - I still haven't really been tempted to change this set up even after all these years.
Enjoy!

I saw this old thread pop up and realized I've been using the ED50 for over eight years now. The 27x wide has been on it the entire time and it's been here there and everywhere. It can be a little dim at that mag, but what's the point of a scope if it doesn't get up around 30x? It's interesting how many people sort of assume it's a toy scope, take a look through it, and then say, "What is that? I want one."

I have ED50 with compact Rangers tripod and tiny Velbon FHD-43M 2-way tripod head. Combo weights just over 2 kg and it fit in the small Backpack. :t: I had ball head previously, but Velbon head is more comfortable and if other people use the scope, they are more familiar with Velbon kind of head than ball head. The combo is agile to use and light enough to carry around long time in your hand.

Attachments

• nikoned50.jpg
    nikoned50.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 91
Royfinn that is a very nice set up! I have the ED50 as well and have a tripod similar to what you have. I also have and Nikon 82 ED and have a heavier tripod for it. I love both of these spotters esp. with quite a few of the eyepieces.

Nice set, Royfinn, enjoy it :t:

I've enjoyed this tiny monster on the Wadden island of Terschelling a month ago. Sat in the dunes doing some gull/seabird watching with sun from behind. Even with the zoom ep the view was easy, almost spectacular. That was definitely the case with the fixed eyepieces; so bright and wide! That really wow'ed me. And the ease to get them pinpoint sharp on the ed50! A real joy. You sometimes read you have to gaze to let your eyes find the right sharpness, but here the focus knob does it all for you; 'plop' and the sharpness is there. I enjoyed the view even better than through the ed82...

btw; the 'stick' from the tripod head annoyed me, and tried to not use it and that went very well with one hand on the focuser and one the eyepiece to steer... Have to try it with the ed82 as well, but at least for the ed50 I'm going for a compact ballhead.

btw; the 'stick' from the tripod head annoyed me, and tried to not use it and that went very well with one hand on the focuser and one the eyepiece to steer... Have to try it with the ed82 as well, but at least for the ed50 I'm going for a compact ballhead.

When seawatching I use it the other way around ie the stick (what's the technical term?!) facing out to sea as opposed to digging into me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back