• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great tit/ Blue Tit cross (1 Viewer)

joser

Am I just going insanely mad or could I have seen a bird that resembled a Great Tit, with the only difference being it had a blue cap just like a blue tit!! I know some birds obviously do cross breed, so is this what has happened? I've just never heard of it or seen it before with these two birds. Correct me if I'm just being stupid!! And before you ask, no, sorry I didn't get a photo.

I suspect it may have been a young Great Tit. We have them around at the moment. The ones fresh out of the dark nest holes have grey/blue caps and a pale yellowish tinge to the body which disappears after a few days.

scampo said:
It's the heat
I'm beginning to think it probably was!!

IanF said:
I suspect it may have been a young Great Tit. We have them around at the moment. The ones fresh out of the dark nest holes have grey/blue caps and a pale yellowish tinge to the body which disappears after a few days.
Yeah, s'pose it probably was. Its just that my reccollection of it was that the blue cap was as bright as a blue tits, striking blue. If a juv. great tits cap can be this bright when its first fledged then thats what it was but they aren't, are they? I think I should just drop this now because I can feel this hole that I'm digging getting deeper and deeper!! I just hope I see it again - prove to myself that I'm not crazy!!

Crazy? Have you got hairs growing on the palm of your hands? That's a sure sign of craziness. Looking for them proves it...

(-;

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back