• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lynx joins with Cornell (1 Viewer)

As a longtime subscriber to both HBW-online & BNA-online, I‘m delighted at the “merger” if only for the ease of switching between the two without having to launch separate passworded apps. This, at least, is how I hope the merged resource ends up working.

I'm not sure I understand the concern - I thought this was merging two existing resources more than accessing a "new resource" - however, eBird has been funded by donations, grants, and sponsors for 17 years, and that should not change. It needs to be understood that eBird is primarily a data-gathering program and free participation for people entering that data is a key to maximizing their database. It would not be in Cornell's best interest to have subscriptions because it would turn people/data away. By corollary, it should also be understood that the "birdlisting" functions are not the main purpose of eBird - indeed they are there as incentive to people for more data.

But whether people join with HBW Alive/eBird or not, it is certainly not incompatible with more contribution to xeno-canto and the opus, etc!

I don't log my sightings on ebird but make these observations : I use its info pages which bring together the distribution, images, sounds etc. This is what I worry might move behind a paywall. It's true that if it goes subscription it will lose some contributors but it's difficult to predict how many: igoterra is/was subscription - based. Those with accounts tend to be some of the most prolific world birders so that covers off many species which wouldn't otherwise be logged. Other things which motivate me personally are that access to this "basic" scientific info (identification details, distributions etc) be fully free at least somewhere, that it be synthesised and not just scattered in (proprietary) paper databases (field guides) and that it be available against different taxonomic views of the world. But maybe this is wishful thinking...

Has anyone got this working? After matching the accounts, I still see only the free content of Bird of North America at birdsna.org

You must have both an account at HBW Alive and BNA. After that you can merge these two accounts and this will lead to a complimentary access to BNA (if you are logged in at BNA, what you have to do whenever you are on the BNA website). You can read all steps in your account at HBW Alive and you will got an email from BNA after the merger.

Last edited:
I don't log my sightings on ebird but make these observations : I use its info pages which bring together the distribution, images, sounds etc. This is what I worry might move behind a paywall. It's true that if it goes subscription it will lose some contributors but it's difficult to predict how many: igoterra is/was subscription - based. Those with accounts tend to be some of the most prolific world birders so that covers off many species which wouldn't otherwise be logged. Other things which motivate me personally are that access to this "basic" scientific info (identification details, distributions etc) be fully free at least somewhere, that it be synthesised and not just scattered in (proprietary) paper databases (field guides) and that it be available against different taxonomic views of the world. But maybe this is wishful thinking...

Right - and again, all of this is true of eBird except the worry about a paywall. There has been no indication that they would initiate payments for the "explore data" functionalities, and again that would not seem to be in their best interest of attracting more data and participation. Additionally the eBird/Macaulay Library/IBC complex is already well funded by donations and sponsors (including Cornell, the National Science Foundation, Google - and many more) so there does not seem to be a need for mandatory fees to the nonprofit organization that is the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. It would also be counter to the Macaulay's mission statement, in part, "to actively promote the use of these recordings for diverse purposes."

Earlier, you stated "Personally, I'm happy to donate to things which everyone can access but less happy about closed subscription services." Maybe you should!

You must have both an account at HBW Alive and BNA. After that you can merge these two accounts and this will lead to a complimentary access to BNA (if you are logged in at BNA, what you have to do whenever you are on the BNA website). You can read all steps in your account at HBW Alive and you will got an email from BNA after the merger.

Today they sent an email in which:
...there are a few manual steps for us to make as we continue to onboard your account to our systems and provide you with access. You’ll be notified when access begins.

Possibly they found a bug in the account system and are fixing it.

Not sure how much use a free access to BNA is to this non-US based birder...and one not likely to visit under the current political stewardship...

More concerned how my migrated lists from HBW will look in eBird...data migration is always fun...wonder if they'll spot the booby traps I've laid...

BNA is still one of the most comprehensive works in Bird literature. So this book is very recommendable even for non-birders. In particular I like the entries on the Hawaiian birds.

Right - and again, all of this is true of eBird except the worry about a paywall. There has been no indication that they would initiate payments for the "explore data" functionalities, and again that would not seem to be in their best interest of attracting more data and participation. Additionally the eBird/Macaulay Library/IBC complex is already well funded by donations and sponsors (including Cornell, the National Science Foundation, Google - and many more) so there does not seem to be a need for mandatory fees to the nonprofit organization that is the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. It would also be counter to the Macaulay's mission statement, in part, "to actively promote the use of these recordings for diverse purposes."

Earlier, you stated "Personally, I'm happy to donate to things which everyone can access but less happy about closed subscription services." Maybe you should!

Who's to say I don't..?

Freeze on entering new stuff to Lynx BUT constant ******* spam from Cornell...way to got to lose me at least you

Last edited by a moderator:
Freeze on entering new stuff to Lynx BUT constant ******* spam from Cornell...way to got to lose me at least you septic twats...

Is that because you have not made a Cornell account and linked the two? I cannot remember when I last got an email about this matter ...

Niels

Is that because you have not made a Cornell account and linked the two? I cannot remember when I last got an email about this matter ...

Niels

No, accounts linked and agreed today migration (I want to see what it comes out like in eBird)...I'm talking about invitations to stuff like this "I hope you can join me at the San Diego Bird Festival "...or ID courses, all with US bias...at least filter their send list by region or country...

No, accounts linked and agreed today migration (I want to see what it comes out like in eBird)...I'm talking about invitations to stuff like this "I hope you can join me at the San Diego Bird Festival "...or ID courses, all with US bias...at least filter their send list by region or country...

Are you really surprised?

This was always the way it was going to go......................

Last edited:
I have amalgamated my eBird and HBW accounts without a hitch - not getting any unwanted emails or anything.

The eBird listing programme is doing weird things today though.

Steve

Is there a grey box at the bottom of the email with these lines at the very bottom?:

Update your information, manage subscriptions, or unsubscribe from this eNewsletter

OR

Unsubscribe from all Cornell Lab eNewsletters

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back