• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (4 Viewers)

A out-of-season fly past this morning, usually a one off in late autumn, but today out of the mist four

Pink-footed Geese (53)

looking a little lost, flew over, giving good views.

Productive morning window-gazing in the rain
22 Siskin
23 Nuthatch
24 distant flypast Great Spotted Woodpecker

Edit: also just realised I'd not put down (both first garden yearticked about a month ago!):
25 Greenfinch
26 Common Gull

Last edited:
slow going at the moment

Freezing today!!
18 Greater Spotted Woodpecker
19 Buzzard (frequent fly around today)

Need to do some catching up I think.....

A belated entry to start the year, with only 10 days at home so far and only a likely 10 more until mid May I think I will again fail in reaching my target 150 but you never know......

1 Shelduck
2 Wigeon
3 Mallard
4 Great Black-backed Gull
5 Herring Gull
6 Common Gull
7 Robin
8 Cormorant
9 Gannet
10 Great Skua
11 Kittiwake
12 Little Gull
13 Goldeneye
14 Pintail
15 Teal
16 Common Scoter
17 Knot
18 Red-throated Diver
19 Great Northern Diver
20 Black-headed Gull
21 Brent Goose
22 Shoveler
23 Lesser Black-backed Gull
24 Red-breasted Merganser
25 Gadwall
26 Sanderling
27 Guillemot
28 Great Crested Grebe
29 Dunlin
30 Mediterranean Gull
31 Blackbird
32 Pheasant
33 Woodpigeon
34 Magpie
35 Starling
36 House Sparrow
37 Meadow Pipit
38 Greenfinch
39 Wren
40 Dunnock
41 Collared Dove
42 Blue Tit
43 Goldfinch
44 Great Tit
45 Pied Wagtail
46 Rook
47 Carrion Crow
48 Jackdaw
49 Eider
50 Fulmar
51 Long-tailed Tit
52 Chaffinch
53 Siskin
54 Sparrowhawk
55 Linnet

You beat me to it H2, I've done the same analysis, 33 of Ryan's species so far this year aren't on my Garden List, and 31 never likely to be (I live in hope that a Mallard or Black-headed Gull might fly over one day).
Pretty sure that I just missed a Goshawk today, the 5 local Carrion Crows were seriously upset and calling so loudly that others flew in from outside of the patch and all the Magpies left the area concerned in a hurry. Although I didn't see the cause of the alarm this time the crows emit a different call when it's a Goshawk IMHO!
A mini-bonus this afternoon, I actually SAW Redpolls, only heard them so far this year, one a lovely pink-breasted male looking very smart against a snowy background.

Gos - Now that would be nice!

Still waiting for Redpolls here. But Bh gulls & Mallards are daily.
Nine Magpies together today - that's v unusual here.

The one that got away

It was like raptor central here this afternoon, after three days of freezing foggy conditions it brightened up, prompting some excellent bird of prey activity and resulting in a Garden yearlist triple whammy. but it could so easily have been a quadruple...........:C

It all kicked off just after lunch when a 2nd year Golden Eagle drifted past, presumably looking for pastures new after being chased out of its birthplace by its parents who are now busy preparing this year's happy event. It flew over the first returning Red Kite of the year (which was joined by a second later on, perhaps last year's pair back on territory already). Finally, at about 3pm the crows were at it again, this time flying very high but still agitated. Underneath them was a leisurely flying Gos. So three raptors for this year's garden list.
If the neighbours ever needed confirmation that their English 'voisin' is a few centimes short of a Euro, my performance mid afternoon would have done the trick. I had just climbed over the fence and gone about 100m into the field, when ahead of me, wheeling over the forest was a big bird with a diamond-shaped tail, looks a bit pale for a Raven thought I, and that wingspan!!! A Lammergeier! After nearly ten years of scanning the mountain behind us to no avail, here was one that had come a bit lower down.
Usain Bolt himself would have admired my speed and, err, agility as I galloped back down through the snow-covered field, hurdled the fence and back into the garden to scan the area again , all in 9.79 seconds (roughly ;)). You guessed of course, the bird had flown, no doubt back to the mountainside, an hour of watching thereafter came up without a sign, but a great addition to my Green Patch total, even if it's still eludes me as a 'Garden' bird.
38 Golden Eagle
39 Red Kite
40 Goshawk

I think I deserve a lie down, don't you?

It was like raptor central here this afternoon, after three days of freezing foggy conditions it brightened up, prompting some excellent bird of prey activity and resulting in a Garden yearlist triple whammy. but it could so easily have been a quadruple...........:C

It all kicked off just after lunch when a 2nd year Golden Eagle drifted past, presumably looking for pastures new after being chased out of its birthplace by its parents who are now busy preparing this year's happy event. It flew over the first returning Red Kite of the year (which was joined by a second later on, perhaps last year's pair back on territory already). Finally, at about 3pm the crows were at it again, this time flying very high but still agitated. Underneath them was a leisurely flying Gos. So three raptors for this year's garden list.
If the neighbours ever needed confirmation that their English 'voisin' is a few centimes short of a Euro, my performance mid afternoon would have done the trick. I had just climbed over the fence and gone about 100m into the field, when ahead of me, wheeling over the forest was a big bird with a diamond-shaped tail, looks a bit pale for a Raven thought I, and that wingspan!!! A Lammergeier! After nearly ten years of scanning the mountain behind us to no avail, here was one that had come a bit lower down.
Usain Bolt himself would have admired my speed and, err, agility as I galloped back down through the snow-covered field, hurdled the fence and back into the garden to scan the area again , all in 9.79 seconds (roughly ;)). You guessed of course, the bird had flown, no doubt back to the mountainside, an hour of watching thereafter came up without a sign, but a great addition to my Green Patch total, even if it's still eludes me as a 'Garden' bird.
38 Golden Eagle
39 Red Kite
40 Goshawk

I think I deserve a lie down, don't you?

I'd be very happy with those Richard and all in one day! Keep those eyes peeled! I can only add one......sit down wait for it....... no 49) Canada Goose!

Nice Richard! I have seen only one of those in my garden - Goldie - and only once that too.

Yesterday at afternoon dusk I tick first new bird in my garden for 38 days:
# 13. Two Goosanders flies over

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back