• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

revivingKensArt (3 Viewers)

Thanks Colleen and Woody,

I've actually written about how much you gain from working from life for years. I said this based on my many years of figure drawing from long ago. But I just haven't forced myself to sketch birds, always opting for photos instead. Now, thanks to this forum and especially Nick Derry and JoMo, I have! I agree with you both about the excitement. I remembered it from figure drawing, and I guess also from street sketches I used to do. It's nice for it now to be fresh and not a distant memory!

Ken

Just catching up with the recent burst of activity on the forum- I really like the richness of colour in the Snowy Egret, background and all.

Thanks so much Ed!

For many, many years I was strictly an abstract artist. Then about three years ago I turned to naturalistic art, specifically birds. So I've spent all that time trying to get them down with some accuracy, all the while sort of chomping at the bit to return to some of the coloristic and compositional freedom of my old abstract work. Finally I think I'm starting to do that with my paintings and drawings of birds. That's my goal anyway! So I'm very happy to find you like the color in the Snowy Egret. I hope I'll continue to find a way to get some rich color into my work.

Ken

I've spent the morning before work for the last two days working on this small 7x10 watercolor. When I began working in watercolor three years ago I used photos of birds that I've taken as subject matter, knowing all the time how misleading photos can be. Since then I've made some effort to work from life but I'm still at the beginning stages of that.

I'll continue to do so but in the meantime I'd like to paint! So this watercolor is based on a photo of an Eastern Willet that I saw at the Wetlands Institute in Stone Harbor, NJ in spring of 2009. I'm afraid to do any more work on it for fear of killing it, so most likely it is done.

Attachments

• eaternWilletWC_V1.jpg
    eaternWilletWC_V1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 163
  • eaternWilletWC_V3.jpg
    eaternWilletWC_V3.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 150
  • eaternWilletWC_V4.jpg
    eaternWilletWC_V4.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 186
Well the last 24 hours have been a struggle and a half. I took some photos of very cooperative Piping Plovers last spring. Yesterday I tried my second small watercolor. Though the plovers completely disappear in the sand when seen from a distance in these closeup photos they stood out as bright white spots against a sand of contrasting orange and blue casts.

So I thought I'd try to capture the color of the sand as well as the birds. I hoped for a bright fresh watercolor. Well you can see the results. It turned out to be more a dark, muddy watercolor that no longer gives much indication of sand. But in trying to rescue the overall painting I changed the background in such a way that it looks more like hills. Still you learn from your mistakes so I hope this will be a learning experience.

I may head out later today for some fieldsketching. I do want to continue it. Unfortunately the birds around my urban home are not too plentiful. So all work from life, outside of the flighty hummingbird, requires a drive somewhere.

Attachments

• pipingPloverWC_V4.jpg
    pipingPloverWC_V4.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 148
  • pipingPloverWC_V6.jpg
    pipingPloverWC_V6.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 156
  • pipingPloverWC_V11.jpg
    pipingPloverWC_V11.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 174
I feel your pain, I don't know how many of my pictures start in watercolour and end up getting very muddy, most of them perhaps! - I'm sure that's where my 'style' of mixed media comes from - just glue some white paper back over it, and start again.

It's a shame that you didn't stop after the first photo was taken - that's very nice - but it's hard to stop when you're having fun. I love the composition and strong shapes. Onwards and upwards.

Hi Nick,

Onwards and upwards is right! I knew I was risking ruining this but I went ahead anyway. But that's the fun of it. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I do have an older watercolor of the same plovers in a different pose that I did a few months ago. It's much lighter and brighter. But it still wasn't what I wanted so I decided to do this 'improved' version. Oh well...... I'm thinking maybe I'll try a version in pastel and charcoal one of these days. I still want to try to get the brightness of the sand.

I have to say that I spent about a week looking through all the posts and photos on your thread and at one point I thought: what a brilliant idea! He's using collage to get back the white!!

But from what I can see most of your watercolors start bright and end bright so I'm sure that there aren't that many that have to deal with the muddiness.

Ken

ah, the reason my watercolours look like they start and end bright is because I only let them be watercolours if they end bright - I've just spent all night destroying another watercolour I started - it's now an acrylic.

It's such a headache to be able to see the version you want to do in your head, and then it never manages to be put onto paper - sometime I wish it were possible to take photos of what I'm thinking!

It's such a headache to be able to see the version you want to do in your head, and then it never manages to be put onto paper - sometime I wish it were possible to take photos of what I'm thinking!

On a computer this is called using the DWIM button: Do What I Mean. I guess we all need DWIM brushes..........

I think I'm finished with this new pastel and charcoal version of the Piping Plovers that I did in watercolor a week ago. It's very overcast today and the light is bad so I've had a hard time actually 'seeing' the results. A brighter light may convince me to go back into this.

I wanted to get both the brilliant light of the sand and the strong color contrast of blue and ochre that was in the sand, depending on whether the sand was in shadow. Eventually I had to take some artistic license and make the top area darker and richer in color than it really was. Otherwise the drawing just seemed a bit washed out and dull.

Though I've done a lot of heavily worked charcoal drawings I haven't done that many that combine pastel and charcoal. So this is still a learning experience. But I'm still pretty happy with the results.

Attachments

• pipingPloversPastel_V6.jpg
    pipingPloversPastel_V6.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 111
And so you should be Ken - this is a terrific result; vibrant and zingy - in fact, possibly all that your previous watercolour was, prior to a touch of the overwork-demon getting a hold of it. So, in many ways, the previous piece laid the cornerstone for this one.

Thanks so much Tim! I'd so much prefer to do work that is vibrant than muddy! Hopefully I can continue in that direction, especially in my great nemesis watercolor.

lovely expressionistic work, Franz Marc would have loved this...

Das Blaue Reiter? It's funny you should mention him. Way back when I was in high school probably and just learning about 'modern' art I loved Franz Marc! I haven't looked at him in years, but will have to do so now.

That's a real painterly piece of work on the plovers Ken - colours and composition have come together very well indeed.

Thanks Deborah,

Through all the various styles my work has had over many years, including hard edge abstraction, I think that painterliness is the one that always seems most natural to me.

Ken

Bold and vibrant result Ken, particularly keen on the repeated shapes which give the feel of waves of movement.

MIke

Fabulous art , Ken...
I grew up in Chester County and spent much of my youth
canoeing and bicycling the Brandywine area and the River
Museum. Its very nice to see Philadelphia area artist on these
forums !! I will be diving into your sites and Blog as soon as
the birds are fed and the coffee is made ! :t:
Thanks for posting your fabulous work.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back