• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Herps 2015 (1 Viewer)

I've never seen a slowworm. How might I go about seeing one (without excessively bothering said slowworm or causing ecological harm)? I live in Leicester, if that's relevant.

Looking for them under things works (but be aware that other reptiles lurk under things, and always replace things exactly as you found them: don't drop heavy stuff back, lower it!) pupils used to find them in the rough grass at the edge of my school field many years ago.

They bask as do other reptiles, sometimes in quite open places such as the middle of tracks. Other than that, looking in fine detail at small areas of likely habitat - the taking of pains in scrutiny - can work.

John

I'm down in Surrey (Guildford ) for most of this next week and have never seen smooth snake. I've read up on a few reserves/heaths in the area that are supposed to have populations of them but wondered if I would be wasting my time looking ? I'm not after sensitive information , but just a realistic appraisal of my chances with no detailed knowledge. If it's basically zero there are other things/places to visit instead..

I'm down in Surrey (Guildford ) for most of this next week and have never seen smooth snake. I've read up on a few reserves/heaths in the area that are supposed to have populations of them but wondered if I would be wasting my time looking ? I'm not after sensitive information , but just a realistic appraisal of my chances with no detailed knowledge. If it's basically zero there are other things/places to visit instead..

I'd say you would be very fortunate to see smooth snake without detailed site knowledge. Of course it's possible on sites that have them and if you try you might get lucky, but they generally spend most of their times under ground or under refugia (which you technically need a licence to use/lift). I recall looking for basking ones in the New Forest on a training course years ago without success, but if you do try look around the base of mature gorse bushes and hollows amongst heather. Try in the mornings before they heat up too much. Others with more experience might be able to offer other tips, or, better still, site knowledge by PM.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I need Dartford warbler for the year , so maybe it won't be a complete waste of time even if I fail with the snake . Farnborough John has very kindly offered to show me a site where we may be lucky, so here's hoping !

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back