• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new member - Green heron? (1 Viewer)

teach38

Hi folks,
I'm an avid birder who just found this site, I'm excited to be a member. I also love photography and am often searching for assistance with bird identities (I said I was an avid birder, not an expert birder! |:D|). Anyway, I hope I can contribute and also hope for assistance with bird identification.

Last edited:
Hi teach38 and welcome on behalf of the Staff and Moderators

I'm sorry I can't help with the ID, but I'll move your post to the ID forum, as I'm sure they'll soon have it sorted for you.

D

Hi teach38 and welcome on behalf of the Staff and Moderators

I'm sorry I can't help with the ID, but I'll move your post to the ID forum, as I'm sure they'll soon have it sorted for you.

D

hello delia Todd, it looks like while I was editing my post, you were moving me to a different forum :-O
I had just found the forum in which identification pictures could be posted, so I'll get my pictures back up there.
thanks!

okay, here are the two pictures. I believe this is a Green Heron, however I have a friend who thinks this may be an American Bittern. The field marks resemble to heron to me, but not necessarily an adult.
any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0992.JPG
    IMG_0992.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0993.JPG
    IMG_0993.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 103
Though the reddish colored neck doesn't show very well in either picture, I think this is a green heron. It doesn't seem to have the white facial markings that a bittern would have.

PS welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
thanks folks! very much appreciated. Gretchen - could the coloration be lacking due to it being an immature?

I'm not very sure about it being immature actually. It seems like immatures have light spots on their wings and necks (e.g. the immature on this page) , whereas this bird's colors look pretty solid. I think the red neck doesn't show just because it's not extended and doesn't show well in the light.

I'm not very sure about it being immature actually. It seems like immatures have light spots on their wings and necks (e.g. the immature on this page) , whereas this bird's colors look pretty solid. I think the red neck doesn't show just because it's not extended and doesn't show well in the light.

There is way too much streaking on the throat / breast for an adult and the overall colours too muted.

The spotting on the coverts and secondaries will diminish with wear, over time and I think that's what we are seeing in this bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back