Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Dogs on Nature Reserves

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average.
Old Saturday 12th January 2013, 23:16   #1
Deseo

Dogs on Nature Reserves

I am trying my best (feels like swimming in treacle) to open people's eyes to the ways in which dog owners are affecting wildlife. I was unfortunate enough this week to witness a mute swan ripped to bits by a dog whose owner thought it ok to let off the lead and walk through a field with around 100 swans in it. I videoed it and took photos and have made them into this video. Please, if you care, post this video anywhere you can (facebook etc) and help me to get the word out to as many people as I can. I must warn you that the video and pictures are a bit graphic so if you are easily upset then please don't watch. Thank you.
http://youtu.be/id6b-ER1-G8
Old Saturday 12th January 2013, 23:26   #2
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2019

Not appearing on my tablet Deseo.

Rich

PS there is a thread about dogs being (allegedly) a threat to our bio-diversity already on here. Not sure how to link it for you. It's fair to say that it provokes mixed reactions.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 12th January 2013, 23:35   #3
Wildmoreway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkWGriswold View Post
Not appearing on my tablet Deseo.

Rich

PS there is a thread about dogs being (allegedly) a threat to our bio-diversity already on here. Not sure how to link it for you. It's fair to say that it provokes mixed reactions.
They not allegedly a threat, they and their walkers are a very real threat unless the dog is very closely controlled. The video make that very clear to anyone but an idiot.
Old Saturday 12th January 2013, 23:51   #4
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by speckled wood View Post
They not allegedly a threat, they and their walkers are a very real threat unless the dog is very closely controlled. The video make that very clear to anyone but an idiot.
I heartily condemn idiots who neither train nor control their dogs but as you know perfectly well threats to individual animals are not threats to biodiversity. Eye on the ball please.

John
Old Sunday 13th January 2013, 00:04   #5
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2019

It did not and continues to not appear on my tablet. Which bit of that don't you understand?

Rich
Quote:

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 13th January 2013, 00:12   #6
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2019

Sorry mods. He/she touched a nerve.

Rich

Old Sunday 13th January 2013, 00:15   #7
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2019

Fully agree with you John,

Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
I heartily condemn idiots who neither train nor control their dogs but as you know perfectly well threats to individual animals are not threats to biodiversity. Eye on the ball please.

John

Old Sunday 13th January 2013, 00:24   #8
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2019

Your opinion remains just that - your opinion. Not fact. I still cannot access the link provided by the OP. I do not condone irresponsible dog owners.

Rich
Quote:

Old Sunday 13th January 2013, 03:16   #9
The sniper

Why dogs have to be taken to reserves is beyond me,there are enough places for them to be walked,let of the lead etc for there not to be a need to go to a reserve.
If someone wants to go to a reserve and has a dog,leave it at home for a few hours.
People choose to have dogs,the same as they choose to have children,if you choose a dog,then you should have to realise you probably are restricted to where you can go with them
Old Sunday 13th January 2013, 10:03   #10
Deseo

I don't think Speckled wood was aiming that at you clark. I think you misunderstood the post.
Cheers.
Old Sunday 13th January 2013, 10:38   #11
Wildmoreway

Quote:
Originally Posted by The sniper View Post
Why dogs have to be taken to reserves is beyond me,there are enough places for them to be walked,let off the lead etc for there not to be a need to go to a reserve.
If someone wants to go to a reserve and has a dog,leave it at home for a few hours.
People choose to have dogs,the same as they choose to have children,if you choose a dog, then you should have to realise you probably are restricted to where you can go with them
It is impossible to make a reasonable argument against what Sniper is saying here.
Old Sunday 13th January 2013, 11:56   #12
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2019

Cheers Deseo. Unfortunately he quoted my response to you so I'm not to sure. It's fair to say that I don't agree with many of SW's posts but then we're all entitled to our point of view. I tried that link again this morning and I still couldn't get it to work.

Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseo View Post
I don't think Speckled wood was aiming that at you clark. I think you misunderstood the post.
Cheers.

Old Sunday 13th January 2013, 11:58   #13
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2019

I probably don't need to see the video Deseo as your description is enough. Have you reported this to the authorities?

Rich

Old Sunday 13th January 2013, 19:13   #14
Deseo

Well I took the story to our local TV news team. Here is the story....
http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/sto...y-dog-on-swan/
Old Sunday 13th January 2013, 19:22   #15
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2019

Scum. No other word for it.

Old Sunday 13th January 2013, 20:53   #16
John Cantelo

Whether or not dogs (collectively) are a threat to biodiversity may be a matter of debate, but the fact that irresponsible dog owners and their hounds are a threat to my blood pressure is beyond doubt,

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Sunday 13th January 2013, 21:03   #17
Farnboro John

Quote:
Why dogs have to be taken to reserves is beyond me,there are enough places for them to be walked,let of the lead etc for there not to be a need to go to a reserve.
People choose to have dogs,the same as they choose to have children,if you choose a dog,then you should have to realise you probably are restricted to where you can go with them
I agree with you. So does the RSPB, which bans dogs from its reserves. However, many LNRs and similar places are "amenities" to be used by the entire public, and dogs are both permitted and often facilitated with dog bins etc. Those situations you simply have to live with - except where dogs/owners are breaking the law in which case you have every right to take action as a concerned citizen.

John
Old Sunday 13th January 2013, 21:10   #18
Bismarck Honeyeater

I think the world has gone mad (actually I know it has), we have a lovely marshy field on the pretty dried up marsh on my patch, it has been deliberately turned back to grazing marsh and is fenced off and now stocked with cattle. There is a clear sign to keep dogs away from the cattle, there is no need to enter the field anyway.

Today, two owners set their dogs into the field and then encouraged them to run up and down. The field they were standing in was plenty big enough for them to run around in but they had to chose the cow field. Naturally the dogs went for the cows who admittedly didn't seem much fussed though I was half expecting them to head butt the mutts.

I had already been rushed by another large 'thug' dog earlier, its owner totally not in control. It makes me appreciate the reservoir bit of the patch where dogs are not allowed. I don't know what harm the dogs do to the wildlife, flushing and killing apart, but it certainly diminishes my enjoyment.

Of course everyone has a right to their thing, maybe even dog owners, but responsibilities come with those rights.

Not a happy bunny:-(

BH
@birdingprof
Old Sunday 13th January 2013, 21:11   #19
The sniper

I am a volunteer wildlife warden for a local site near me,it is not a wildlife reserve as such but is geared up as "open space for all"
Dog walkers,birders,kids mix together and on the whole get on well.
There are plenty of paths and on the whole the dog walkers are fine,but every now and then one or two leave their dog poo bags tied to trees etc.and every now and then the odd arguement takes place between dog walkers who see their dog attacked by another and every now and then,me and others who bird,have our equipment bashed,licked or barged into by a bounding or every now and then threatening dog.
But it's not a nature reserve,its open space for all and I choose to bird there and accept the consequences.The same as those with dogs,should understand that a nature reserve is exactly that,for nature and the well being of it,not some little pooch to run around,crapping everywhere and bounding in and out of bushes,reeds,nesting areas etc etc
Old Sunday 13th January 2013, 21:16   #20
The sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilliard's Honeyeater View Post
I think the world has gone mad (actually I know it has), we have a lovely marshy field on the pretty dried up marsh on my patch, it has been deliberately turned back to grazing marsh and is fenced off and now stocked with cattle. There is a clear sign to keep dogs away from the cattle, there is no need to enter the field anyway.

Today, two owners set their dogs into the field and then encouraged them to run up and down. The field they were standing in was plenty big enough for them to run around in but they had to chose the cow field. Naturally the dogs went for the cows who admittedly didn't seem much fussed though I was half expecting them to head butt the mutts.

I had already been rushed by another large 'thug' dog earlier, its owner totally not in control. It makes me appreciate the reservoir bit of the patch where dogs are not allowed. I don't know what harm the dogs do to the wildlife, flushing and killing apart, but it certainly diminishes my enjoyment.

Of course everyone has a right to their thing, maybe even dog owners, but responsibilities come with those rights.

Not a happy bunny:-(

Hi GH,
I had similar experiences before Xmas on an Essex Wildlife Trust site,as well as another site the day before,I like dogs,just don't like the sometimes idiot owners who own them.
I wrote a blog entry about it,to which I actually got a nasty pm from some "staff" owner,claiming I should be bitten by one for what I wrote.
Old Sunday 13th January 2013, 21:30   #21
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2019

I agree with everything you say here Sniper. It annoys the hell out of me that people are too lazy to use the bins provided. It's probably clear that I am a dog lover but remain of the opinion that that the majority of dog owners are sensible and responsible. Some sort of license fee must be the way forward.

Rich.
Quote:
I am a volunteer wildlife warden for a local site near me,it is not a wildlife reserve as such but is geared up as "open space for all"
Dog walkers,birders,kids mix together and on the whole get on well.
There are plenty of paths and on the whole the dog walkers are fine,but every now and then one or two leave their dog poo bags tied to trees etc.and every now and then the odd arguement takes place between dog walkers who see their dog attacked by another and every now and then,me and others who bird,have our equipment bashed,licked or barged into by a bounding or every now and then threatening dog.
But it's not a nature reserve,its open space for all and I choose to bird there and accept the consequences.The same as those with dogs,should understand that a nature reserve is exactly that,for nature and the well being of it,not some little pooch to run around,crapping everywhere and bounding in and out of bushes,reeds,nesting areas etc etc

Old Sunday 13th January 2013, 21:37   #22
The sniper

I talk to some lovely dogs on my site and some nice owners lol but poo bags really gets on my tits.
The other day while in my bedroom I saw a woman put a poo bag on my garden wall,I rushed downstairs to confront the old bag and she just walked off,I then threw the bag in her general direction and it hit her on the head and sadly split on impact.
Apparently her husband was going to come round and sort me out,but despite me siting on my garden wall for the best part of an hour,he failed to show.Just another day in suburban essex
Old Sunday 13th January 2013, 21:46   #23
Wildmoreway

I think that it is a lost battle, and it is only going to get worse. People are all too aware of what they think are their "rights" but are somehow unable to comprehend their responsibilities. Sadly more and more dog owners seem not to be aware of their responsibilities and start to foam at the mouth if anyone dares to suggest that they do have responsibilities.
Old Sunday 13th January 2013, 21:49   #24
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2019

Getting back to the OP I really hope that this person gets a ruddy great fine at the very least.

Rich

Old Monday 14th January 2013, 00:39   #25
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseo View Post
I am trying my best (feels like swimming in treacle) to open people's eyes to the ways in which dog owners are affecting wildlife. I was unfortunate enough this week to witness a mute swan ripped to bits by a dog whose owner thought it ok to let off the lead and walk through a field with around 100 swans in it. I videoed it and took photos and have made them into this video. Please, if you care, post this video anywhere you can (facebook etc) and help me to get the word out to as many people as I can. I must warn you that the video and pictures are a bit graphic so if you are easily upset then please don't watch. Thank you.
http://youtu.be/id6b-ER1-G8
Excellent video. Thanks for posting. I've had lot's of similar experiences over the years.
Neil.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: