• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ottawa and surrounding areas IDs (1 Viewer)

Drevni

Hello all!

Took these pictures in Mer Bleue and Burnt Lands Park close to Ottawa, end of June/beginning of July. These look to be juveniles so I'm having trouble with the IDs. Help is appreciated!

1. Burnt Lands P.P.
Sparrow1.jpg

Sparrow2.jpg

Warbler1-1.jpg

Thanks for the help in advance!

1-2. Both look like Song Sparrows, particularly bird 2, based on the dark crown and thick, black bill.
3. agree with Red-eyed Vireo.

I agree on #1 and #3, but #3 looks like a Vesper Sparrow to me.

#3 or #2?

For #2, I could see the outer tail feathers as white, but the bill is dark and I see no sign of an eyering. Not much of a facial pattern either.

Drevni, any more photos?

Hi all.

The rufous 'shoulder' is quite obvious but the face markings less so. Vesper usually has a complete and rather obvious unboken eye-ring, which seems not to be the case here.
Not especially obvious and broken et the rear end. However, considering that the bird is worn, and moulting it would be difficult to see some of the usual features - like the face pattern.
If you compare it with this Vesper here:http://www.rshantz.com/Animals/Birds/Sparrows/Vesper/20070620Sparrow02.htm

there´s a hint of the face markings.

JanJ

#3 or #2?

For #2, I could see the outer tail feathers as white, but the bill is dark and I see no sign of an eyering. Not much of a facial pattern either.

Drevni, any more photos?

My mistake, yes, I mean't #2 is a Vesper Sparrow, not #3.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back