• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: mainland Greece June (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
Hi guys,

we have made a snap decision to fly to Athens on the coming weekend, who wouldn't when the airfare is so insanely cheap nowadays. We'll rent a car ad have 5 days for birding around. However I find that most information here and around is about the islands (where we don't really have time to go) or Kerkini/the North, where we already have been.

So any tips for say central mainland Greece would be appreciated. I have located some hotspots on eBird and I have assembled 13 target species we could grab around there:

Rock Partridge
Yelkouan Shearwater
Eleonora's Falcon
Horned Lark
Rufous-tailed Bush-robin
Eastern Orphean Warbler
Olive-tree Warbler
Semicollared Flycatcher
Sombre Tit
Rock Nuthatch
Lesser Grey Shrike
Cretschmar's Bunting
Black-headed Bunting

What I can't really assess well is, which of these are difficult? For which I should prepare exact spots and which I am gonna see everywhere in suitable habitats? Also, is there a resource for rarities in Greece in case something is worth pursuing?

Thanks!

If someone ever stumbles upon this, the results: we got 11/13 (all but Horned Lark, which we tired at Parnassoss and Semicollared Flycatcher which we had no time for) plus a bonus Snowfinch at high reaches of Mt. Parnassoss (above 2000 m), which we didn't expect at all. Apart from Black-headed Bunting, all target species were scarce. We saw Shearwaters twice (Sounio and Nea Stira ferry), Rock Nuthatch several times (quarries around Lake Distou plus some areas around the Itea coast) and we heard Olive-tree Warblers in some olive grooves around Distou (but saw them in one). The rest of the species we always got just once: Rock Partridge on a 1800-meter hilltop SE from Lidoriki, Eleonora's falcon in Sperchios delta, Rufous-taild Bush-Robin in Mesolongi lagoons, Eastern Orphean Warbler near Lake Distou, Sombre Tit near Ano Mousoura north of Mesolongi, Lesser Grey Shrike in Kopaida plains and Cretschmar's Bunting on a high seaside slope east of Itea. Overall 110 species, good birding, even though often too hot weather.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back