• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What do your friends/Family think of your birdwatching hobby? (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
My family are always interested on what differnt bird is what, since having The Great Tits nesting it's got them interested I told them when the babys hatch annd flee you will still see them on a branch doing that "feed me" mothion with their wings. In the hebrides they are always interested seeing Birds of Pray & Waders. My Uncle is interested after telling him what species what he remebered them this year with me reminding him of couse. My friends do find it interestesting.

My family thinks I'm a little crazy for liking nature as much as I do, but my parents have always been supportive about me enjoying the outdoors, I was practically raised outside :)

Gradually my family has joined me in my hobby. My mother started to come on holiday with me to birding destinations, and then my brother stated to borrow my binoculars and go out birding on his own. The infection seems to be spreading to some of my friends too, one chap has started to feed the birds.
Jackie

hardly any of my mates know i birdwatch but my dad birdwatch and so do 2 of my uncle's and 1 of my cousins. so one could say its a family thing

Interesting thread, I will look forward to reading the answers to this question. My family have gradually got interested. They still think I'm batty but they do now comment when they see something interesting, usually it isn't unusual but it is positive of them because they have shown an interest. I think it is important not to impose birding on them. In my case, they have slowly, but positivly, come to being mildly, no more than mildly, interested.

I used to have both friends and family before this birding thing really took off.....

Seriously, my friends and colleagues think I'm crazy. Family has moxed opinions - sometimes its a good thing cos I'm always out with the children.

My teens joke around alot about my birding. They are always going at a much faster pace so hiking, or walking with mom is way too slow and I stop too much to look up into a tree. Althought they joke a lot as teens will, with their parents, I know that they also are paying attention as one of them will once in a while point out to me a bird they see and call it by name.

One of my teens is in his early twenties now (so I guess he isn't a teen--Boy this makes me feel old) and loves to road bike and travel. When we go camping together it is a matter of taking his bike and letting him out while I drive ahead stopping at a birding hotspot where he joins me. It isn't a bad combination.

My other teen is a freshman in college and runs track (talk about a faster pace) as well as showing horses. When we go out together, I drop her and her boyfriend off to run and I drive ahead stopping at a hotspot. Being around the horses so much, gives me lots of time outdoors and I have to say that getting up at the crack of dawn for a horse show gives me the chance to get out before dawn. Another really good combination.

My "family" does have some other birding companions---Issy my black lab has a thing for ducks on a pond and all four of my horses are great at getting me close and standing still so I can get the bins out of my saddle bags to get an even closer look.

My family all know. My sister thinks I'm "obssessed" with birds and I think she secretly thinks I'm sad, but that's teenagers for you. My mum and dad take an interest in what I do, my dad even comes birding with me. My aunt and uncle are birders too, but casual ones.

I've gotten my father a retired film photographer involved and he loves it. I'm always photographing birds on digital. He comes from a pure film background but is beginning to understand that the new cameras can do much of the same. Now when we go out birding he asks my film speed, apature etc. He can wander around a subject like a bluewing teal and find shooting windows with better angles. Very handy to have at hand. I 'm waiting for the day he asks for the camera.
Sam

Well the good thing about us being birders is that if anyone we know see';s a mystery bird we can name it for them

My wife & two daughters, now in their thirties are pleased for me that I found this new hobby three years ago. My wife on the odd occasion comes with me, she is handy to have around for her eye sight is a little sharper than mine. She very often will see a bird for me, although most of the time does not know what it is.

Most of my work colleagues (I'm a postman), think that I'am a little odd going out walking on my days off when I walk for almost four hours a day. While most of them stay in bed on a sunday resting a hangover I'am out early, birding for a few hours going on some beautiful walks in the countryside & seeing a lot of wildlife. Who is better off, I'am.

Rod.

I only started birding last year and was initially in denial with myself, let alone brave enough to tell anyone else.
I kept telling myself I was just walking the dog with binoculars around my neck (no problem I thought, I can handle that).

However, my interest grew to the point where I eventually purchased a good pair of bins.
I'm now at the stage where I'm very close to buying a scope. Once I do that, I'll have to 'come out' and confirm to my wider family members (and finally myself) that I'm the annorak they have suspected all along.

It's something I'll definitely keep from my mates though - they would crucify me for sure!

Interestingly, I managed to get my wife to tag along last week, who I didn't think was that interested. We went to the the local reserve and didn't see too much that day.
However, I went there alone today and she asked if I saw anything. Actually, today was one of my best days birding so far (also had a cracking close-up and prolonged view of a stoat with its prey).
When I told her about it, she seemed genuinely miffed that she missed out on it all.

I'm beginning to think this could turn into something quite serious...

Last edited:
gelliot2 said:
I'm now at the stage where I'm very close to buying a scope.

I'm beginning to think this could turn into something quite serious...

I started like you and swore I'd never buy a scope - couldn't imagine myself looking like those wierd people - also felt that I'd embarass myself staring at birds didn't know the name off.

Look at me now - I look worse than some of the people I didn't want to look like, still don't know a lot but enough that I'm really enjoying birdwatching/listening.

I found watching (except woodland) is greatly enhanced with a scope even if it's just having a stable view plus you have hands free for notes/tea or can tuck them away when it's cold.

It will get serious 3:)

Taking notes - now that really worries me.

I currently don't take notes as I don't see a reason for it yet. I just enjoy looking at what I can find on the day and check my field guide for those I can't identify on my own.

I've often thought that note taking is just one step away from train spotting.

I suppose when i was younger, i was in denial and embarrassed about my hobby.
Now, i couldn't give a hoot what anyone thinks of what i'm doing.
I'm outdoors, exercising (well kinda) and have now visited some truely wonderful places.
Places that if i wasn't a birder, i would not have known about.
Highlight of my day? 4 Harbour Porpoises off Titchwell.
Nature is great. :)

dave...

My family supports me a lot, even though I sometimes drive them crazy going over possibilities for my sightings and such. However, a lot of my friends think I'm crazy. I'm the only one they know who's first word as a baby was "bird", as well as the only one who knows, can pronounce, and can translate the scientific name of the Red-headed Woodpecker.

My husband thinks it's great fun and now joins me during the weekends, my ex colleagues think it's good that I do something "positive" since I've quit work! My "real" friends admire me for learning so much in such a short time (and with so few brain cells!!) and they encourage me to spend more time doing the things I enjoy most! My daughter says it's a wonderful hobby, so long as I promise not to talk about Marsh harriers and such like in front of her friends and also that I don't ask her to come with me! My son thinks I'm really "sad" and that I should get a life!?? (Which is a bit of a cheek as he's 27 and spends his days off shut in his room playing computer games and only comes out for meals and visits to the bathroom!!) My dad spends hours searching through charity shops for bird books for me (Bless him!) and My mum worries about me when I go birdwatching all alone! She's convinced that there's a pervert hiding in every bush just waiting to pounce!!! But there is a bonus! Although she thinks the big walking boots make me look a bit butch, she thinks the dark green clothes make me look much slimmer!!! :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back