• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Simon Barnes on Bugs, Swifts and Hobbies (1 Viewer)

Nice one Joanne!
Not so nice the 'Ads by Google' on the right hand side! KILL BUGS 'PROVADO' bug killer!
Leon has lent me some of Mr Barnes' books and I am just trying to find time to sit down and read them.

Nice one Joanne!
Not so nice the 'Ads by Google' on the right hand side! KILL BUGS 'PROVADO' bug killer!
Leon has lent me some of Mr Barnes' books and I am just trying to find time to sit down and read them.

Hi Reg

The bit about the bug killer wasn't there when I put this up.:'D

Have only read one of his books...it was good, must search out some more.

(PS. Did you ever get to CH?)

Joanne

(PS. Did you ever get to CH?)

We certainly did! Beautiful place, I will put up a report as soon as I can. Rather bad time for family at the moment , will PM tomorrow.

Look forward to seeing you,
Reg

The last part reminded me of Richard Mabey's book, "Nature Cure", which describes how the natural world enabled him to recover from severe depression. In the book he recounts how, finding a fledging swift lying in an attic, "with its crescent wings stretched out stiffly, unable to take off", he picks up the swift and hurls it out of the window. Instinct kicks in and the swift takes off. "It would not touch down again until it came to breed in two summers' time". This perpetual aerial motion becomes a leitmotif throughout
the book, in contrast to the living death of deep depression rendered in the image of an outdoorsman curled foetally in his bed all day, his face to the wall.
If anyone comes across this book it is well worth a read. The theme of the swift and its constant movement runs throughout the book.In the end Richard Mabey recovers from his depression, thanks to the healing power of nature and the love he finds with a woman called Poppy who shares his love of nature. It is a very moving and beautifully written book!

The last part reminded me of Richard Mabey's book, "Nature Cure", which describes how the natural world enabled him to recover from severe depression. In the book he recounts how, finding a fledging swift lying in an attic, "with its crescent wings stretched out stiffly, unable to take off", he picks up the swift and hurls it out of the window. Instinct kicks in and the swift takes off. "It would not touch down again until it came to breed in two summers' time". This perpetual aerial motion becomes a leitmotif throughout
the book, in contrast to the living death of deep depression rendered in the image of an outdoorsman curled foetally in his bed all day, his face to the wall.
If anyone comes across this book it is well worth a read. The theme of the swift and its constant movement runs throughout the book.In the end Richard Mabey recovers from his depression, thanks to the healing power of nature and the love he finds with a woman called Poppy who shares his love of nature. It is a very moving and beautifully written book!

Haven't heard of that book, naturistbird, but will look out for it. I remember a book from years ago by Richard Maybe called "Food for Free" when I was into my back to the earth, self sufficiency, post hippy phase.:'D

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back