• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

April visit to St Louis, USA (1 Viewer)

horatio

I am planning a trip to visit relatives in St Louis, Missouri this April and am looking for good places to bird watch in the surrounding area. I have a particular interset in Warblers and Thrushes.

A little advice or website indication would be much appreciated.

Hi Horatio, Just thought i'd pass on details for two websites which should start you off with some ideas for the trip. The rare bird alert info can be found here: although it seems not to be posted online as with most other states: http://www.virtualbirder.com/vbirder/realbirds/rbas/MO.html - there are also links here to audubon and nature conservancy sites for MO. This is a site I would always recommend looking at if you are trying to plan a trip in the usa as it has some good links and useful information: http://www.camacdonald.com/birding/usmissouri.htm hopefully one of our members will give you some useful info too. if not have you tried birdingpal? in my experience it can be a little hit or miss but worth a try. regards - luke

Quite central are Tower Grove Park and Forest Park. Not sure you will find many thrushes. I have seen just one other than Robin.

I have a site bookmarked at home where twitchers post, will get that later.

This is the Missouri bird sightings list
http://www.birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/MOBD.html
click on the line to open the entry.

Saw a Brown Thrasher today, and we have maybe a few Thrushes besides Robin. By a book, Hermit Thrush expected in mid April and Wood Thrush end of April to May. Swainson and Gray Cheeked show uo in May.

Eastern Bluebird middle MARCH.

Hi horatio,

I copied your request to our MOBIRDS Listserve and anticipate that you will get some responses from that source. The Riverlands Environmental Demonstration Area (REDA) is not too far from Saint Charles. It is a good area to bird. I am from Saint Joseph which is on the other side of the state, so I not able to give you precise directions. PM me if you get any feedback from the people on MOBIRDS.

Larry Lade said:
Hi horatio,

I copied your request to our MOBIRDS Listserve and anticipate that you will get some responses from that source. The Riverlands Environmental Demonstration Area (REDA) is not too far from Saint Charles. It is a good area to bird. I am from Saint Joseph which is on the other side of the state, so I not able to give you precise directions. PM me if you get any feedback from the people on MOBIRDS.

I have had several really helpful people E:mail me about useful websites, offers of trips out during my visit or just advise on where to go. It's a bit over-whelmimg really.

I really appreciate it and will contact you either during my trip or when I get back to inform you of how I got on.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back