• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vista 8X26 Compact (1 Viewer)

Penwolf

Any one have any experience with the Vista 8X26 Compact?
It looks like a handy bin for theatre, museums, and for light weight use.

So no one has used these bin's? I am supprized that with all the Zen-Ray fans no body has used the Vista 8X26's

Any idea about other forum(s) I can try?

Thanks

Penwolf a little bit of searching on compacts in general on this forum and you'll find out why most folks haven't tried them. It's mostly that compacts are compromises and there area lot of them out there. And unless they stand out optics geeks tend not to gravitate to them.

Any one have any experience with the Vista 8X26 Compact?
It looks like a handy bin for theatre, museums, and for light weight use.

An 8x26 bin would in my experience be a bit on the large side for use in a theater, museum, opera, etc. Something with lower magnification, wider field, closer focus and smaller size ( including objectives) would seem more useful.

8x is fine for the theater, just you need wide field to see the whole stage. There are a few 7x compacts, maybe just one. Opera glasses probably are not worth it, at 4x.

Last edited:
It all depends if you're 8 rows back or 50. I've never had a problem with my 8's in a theater.

I wanted to buy the Bushnell 4x32 I think it was? I thought it was going to be so cool with that giant field but they were Perma focus which to me means never focus.

8x26 sounds to me like a good size/config for taking walking, when you don't want the extra weight of a full-size.

As regards Kevin's comment about "compacts are compromises", well sure, but then any binocular is compromised. Just like any car is compromised. Any 'plane, any laptop, any anything. Doesn't stop us buying them. Edit, other things might stop us buying the 'plane...

The problem is compacts are usually so compromised they don't do anything very well, especially the none top end ones.

Not quite the same as compromise meaning trade off. I have bins that make trade off amongst their properties (all of them do) that work well for particular purposes. Like the cars I drive and the planes I fly in.

Folks and try compacts but as the number of threads here point out cheap, small and good are mutually exclusive properties.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back