• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED Lens cap replacement (1 Viewer)

Woodbadger

The problems with these have been well-covered in the past, so I won't re-hash that. I had been able to keep my on by using a pair of heavy duty rubber bands. However, this weekend I finally lost one and ripped the cap off the retaining ring on the other!
I know that the Quake Bushwacker #6 have been recommended by others on this forum as an excellent replacement, but I have been unable to find a source (in fact I could not even find them on the Quake website). They are out of stock (for the #6) at Eagle optics also.
So, has anyone had any luck with other brand replacements (e.g. the Eagle Optics mediums)?
thanks!!!

Quake is coming out with a new model that opens flat against your optics. I'm waiting for those.

Bushwacker 270 on page seven: http://www.quakeinc.com/pdf/Quake_2010_Catalog.pdf

I use a tight fitting O-ring to keep my original covers on. Trouble is, I lost one when I swapped bins at Zen Ray so consequently I lost the cover without the O-ring to keep it in place.

Attachments

• 3-13-2010 1-50-41 PM.jpg
    3-13-2010 1-50-41 PM.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
OK - so I couldn't wait for a return e-mail. So, I called Quake. I was told that they did not have any of the Bushwacker 270 lens covers available at this time. I was told that they will update their website when they are. So I guess we just have to keep checking back!

#6 for the 8x43 ed?

edit - your link is bad and I see nothing about the 270 on their site.

Something is wrong. The page was up but they took it down.

Last edited:
Yep - link worked fine on the day. Now I have placed my order, and they have my credit card info, the page int he Store section is gone, and my order shows "On Hold" GRRRR!!!! :C
However, you can see the item here. Adding to the cart, however, produces an "Out of Stock" error!

I've been thinking that it may be better to have covers (for binoculars) that snaps closed rather than snapping open. It would work by manually opening until it clicks onto a latch - with a modest push to get it to snap closed.

Actually, I can see snapping open and closed - with a midway point determining which direction it would go. It would be much like my folding cell phone. It springs open and springs closed

I will have to buy a few to see about modifications.

Your link isn't the 270. It's the old version.

Last edited:
Another option, essentialy the equal of the Quake, is to opt for a Butler Creek Flip Up cover. Sorry, but I do not see the number on mine. A lot of Sporting Goods Stores carry them and they should not be too hard to find. The website has a list of diameter/size requirements.

Thanks for the suggestion Steve. Quake would not give me an ETA other than "watch the website!", so I canceled my order. I have a Cabela's near me, so I will probably go with the Butler Creek model.

I've been thinking that it may be better to have covers (for binoculars) that snaps closed rather than snapping open. It would work by manually opening until it clicks onto a latch - with a modest push to get it to snap closed.

I found a post from someone complaining about the exact same thing my concern is.

......... flip-ups are far from perfect. Here in chaparral country, I ended up flipping the things open on twigs more times than I can count. I'm not sure if they're worth using in brush, since they hardly protected the lenses when they were open at the worst times!
source and more: http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=186005

is 270 degree one better than the original one (180degree?) I would imagine if it opens 270 degree, it will interfere holding the binoculars.

You may have a point but it may matter which way it's mounted. My thumb is the only thing holding the bottom of my bin so I might mount it to flip down.

I like the idea of folding flat so when walking through trees and shrubs there is less chance of snagging on something. But then, i've never seen an aftermarket objective cover so I don't know how durable they are.

I still think I want them to flip closed rather than open. The original covers keep opening just walking around and it's annoying.

I'd like to see some kind of camera iris type of cover (diaphragm of overlapping blades), if at all possible. That would probably be overkill though.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back