Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Rare bird news for Florida

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 17th November 2011, 04:14   #226
Andy Wraithmell
aka Limeybirder

October Summary

What an incredible month it was for rares and scarce birds to Florida! Fort Pickens was probably the hottest spot, which took some doing considering the birds S. FL had.

On 1st 2 Say's Phoebes were found, one at Fort Pickens and the other at St Joe Peninsula. 2 days later Roberto "Toe" Torres found THE bird of the month, a YELLOW-GREEN VIREO at Matheson Hammock; it stayed for 9 days! A Ruff was found at Merritt Island on the same day. Fort Pickens scored again with a Fork-tailed Flycatcher on 5th. A Western Tanager graced Fort Zach in Key West on 13th and the next day saw a Tropical/Couch's Kingbird near Lucky Hammock. A fine male Bullock's Oriole was found on St George Island on the 15th and a Say's Phoebe returned to Ranch Road nr Astatula in Lake County for its 4th consecutive winter! 5 Greater White-fronted Geese flew by Bald Point on 16th. On 18th a male Black-headed Grosbeak was located in Evergreen Cemetery, Fort Lauderdale and a male Masked Duck was reported from Stock Island in the keys. Another mega showed up on the 20th, a KIRTLAND'S WARBLER at Richardson's Park in Broward County. A Varied Thrush was found at Fort Pickens on the same day and a Black-throated Gray Warbler was spotted on Honeymoon Island. South Florida continued to produce on 21st with a one day Bananaquit at Bill Baggs and there were 3 White-faced Ibis at St Marks NWR and 4 Groove-billed Ani at Fort Pickens. 2 Cinnamon Teal were found in Seminole County on 22nd and a fine Audubon's Warbler graced Sanibel Island on 24th. A Brown-crested Fly was also found on 24th at Bill Baggs. On 25th a Cuban Bullfinch started a debate but the bird is most likely an escaped pet! The last rarity of the month was another Say's Phoebe, reported from the Everglades NP on 28th.

List filling scarcities were plentiful as well. Here's a list of scarce and uncommon birds found during October. I should have took the month off!
Franklin's Gull, Bell's Vireo, Rufous Hummingbird, Wilson's Warbler, Brown Creeper, Philadelphia Vireo, Bay-breasted Warbler (major influx), Ash-throated Flycatcher, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Western Kingbird, Vermilion Flycatcher, Clay-colored Sparrow, Lark Sparrow, Le Conte's Sparrow........great stuff!

www.limeybirder.com

Last edited by Andy Wraithmell : Thursday 17th November 2011 at 04:17.
Old Friday 18th November 2011, 02:11   #227
Andy Wraithmell
aka Limeybirder

A Golden Eagle was reported flying over Picnic Pond at St Marks NWR today.

The White-winged Scoter was seen at Merritt Island NWR as well.

www.limeybirder.com
Old Saturday 3rd December 2011, 21:32   #228
Andy Wraithmell
aka Limeybirder

Sorry haven't had time to do this of late.

Not much going on. Lapland Bunting at Fort Walton spray fields and 2 Sprague's Pipits. An American Tree Sparrow was reported from the Panhandle but hasn't been verified or seen subsequently. Mega rare for Florida so would be nice if re-found!
Winter hummingbirds are off the charts. Visit this blog for details. http://onthetrailmyfwc.blogspot.com/...mingbirds.html

A Red-necked Grebe was reported from Baker County.

www.limeybirder.com
Old Sunday 4th December 2011, 17:39   #229
Andy Wraithmell
aka Limeybirder

Another Green-tailed Towhee was found today in Alachua County. It is on US 441 just opposite (a bit north) the 441 platform on Paynes Prairie. That is, on the west side of 441, and about one telephone pole north of the point just opposite the platform.

Also in Alachua County a Fox Sparrow has returned to the same feeding spot on the Gainesville-Hawthorne Trail in Gainesville. Andy Kratter has a feeder set up and scatters seed beneath on the east side of the GH Trail about 400 yards south of SE 22nd Ave or 1000 yards north of the Boulware Springs parking lot (off SE 15th Street).

A male Wilson's Warbler was found yesterday at Alligator Lake in Columbia County (I think!).

Lucky Hammock area continues to produce scarce and uncommon wintering flycatchers. Ash-throated, Scissor-tailed, Vermilion (2) and Western Kingbirds have been seen regularly in the area. One of the best birding sites in the state! http://www.tropicalaudubon.org/tasbo...ges/61923.html

A Western Tanager was also heard and seen in a birders yard in the Miami area. I don't have any other details.

www.limeybirder.com
Old Monday 5th December 2011, 22:27   #230
Andy Wraithmell
aka Limeybirder

Green-tailed Towhee is still present in Alachua County. Looks like this one might stick around. Here's a picture of said bird.

www.limeybirder.com
Old Wednesday 7th December 2011, 01:17   #231
Azzy

I know it's a rarity, but I'm pretty sure I may have seen a Wilson's Warbler two days ago in Lithia. Got long, close views and heard multiple 'chet' type calls. The most notable features (besides the bright yellow underneath and darker olive-yellow above) were a dark cap and a very bright supercilium, particularly towards the back of the eye. The were no striations above or below and the tail was often cocked as it moved about the tree at eye-level. I will try to return to the location tomorrow with camera in hand this time.
Old Wednesday 7th December 2011, 01:17   #232
Andy Wraithmell
aka Limeybirder

Cassin's Kingbird continues at STA-5 in South Florida.

A Golden Eagle was reported from Levy County.

www.limeybirder.com
Old Wednesday 7th December 2011, 01:18   #233
Andy Wraithmell
aka Limeybirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
I know it's a rarity, but I'm pretty sure I may have seen a Wilson's Warbler two days ago in Lithia. Got long, close views and heard multiple 'chet' type calls. The most notable features (besides the bright yellow underneath and darker olive-yellow above) were a dark cap and a very bright supercilium, particularly towards the back of the eye. The were no striations above or below and the tail was often cocked as it moved about the tree at eye-level. I will try to return to the location tomorrow with camera in hand this time.
Cool!

www.limeybirder.com
Old Thursday 15th December 2011, 14:58   #234
Siccomebirder
Video maker

When and where did you see the Kirtland's Warbler? Thamks, Marvin
Old Thursday 15th December 2011, 17:50   #235
csanchez7

The Kirtland's Warbler was seen in October at a small park in Broward county. It has been gone for at least 1 1/2 months now, though...

Carlos
Old Friday 16th December 2011, 01:41   #236
Hamhed

Any word on the Towhee at Paynes Prairie lately? We'll be there next Monday evening and Tuesday morning looking for it.

Steve

BF Supporter 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 11th June 2012, 03:22   #237
Andy Wraithmell
aka Limeybirder

New FLRBA now on twitter

www.limeybirder.com
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: