• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird House Crisis (1 Viewer)

jordan6

Hello,
Now the title makes this post seem more dramatic than this situation actually is, in all honesty, I need some help and opinions from you lovely people.

Firstly, can anybody please tell me the top 10 most common garden birds in this area?

Secondly, regarding bird houses, what is your preferred style of bird house? (e.g. hanging houses, ect.) And what do you think birds would prefer if they were going to nest in these houses? (e.g. able to be high in trees, blends into tree, very spacious, ect.)

These answers will be a great help to me as I am starting a project on bird houses and need all the research help I can get. I appreciate your time and co-operation.
Jordan :)

Would help to know what area you live in as it does change. Up until 2 years ago we never had a chaffinch in our garden now we get them most days, but you only had to go down the road about half a mile to see chaffinch. So your local area will need to be local to you not just Lincolnshire. As for bird boxes then I think the RSPB do a fact sheet on them or you could google it I know our son did when he built some for our garden.

Debbie Neve

Hello Jordan,

The results of the RSPB's Big Garden Birdwatch this year showed that the top 10 Lincolnshire garden birds (in January at least) were:

House sparrow
Starling
Blackbird
Collared dove
Blue tit
Goldfinch
Woodpigeon
Chaffinch
Great tit
Robin

From most to least.

WRT the nestboxes, different birds will prefer different boxes and locations. Check the RSPB website, you'll find some great information there

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back