Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

A week in the Everglades

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 14th August 2015, 16:53   #1
TwitchEd

A week in the Everglades

Advice please...

We're looking to spend a week in the Everglades next March (1st-8th) and was wondering if there was enough to hold us there at a relaxed pace for a whole week, especially if we included Big Cypress and Fakahatchee Strand too?

Most importantly, we were wondering if the trails in the southern section of the park would keep us occupied for three whole days?

Many thanks in advance!
Old Saturday 15th August 2015, 01:49   #2
csanchez7

Three days to explore the Everglades in late March should be more than enough. Visits to Anhinga Trail (freshwater slough), Long Pine Key (pinelands), Paurotis Pond (wading bird rookery), Snake Bight Trail (mangrove forest), Mahogany Hammock (tropical hardwood forest), and Flamingo + Eco Pond (mixture of mangrove, saltmarsh prairie, and campground) would all provide a well rounded birding experience.

I also would recommend spending a day birding around Miami. Yes, it is a big city. Yes, there is traffic. But the species diversity in winter in areas such as Matheson Hammock County Park, the C-357 Sparrow Fields, Cutler Wetlands, and A.D. Barnes Park often exceeds the park itself -- especially when it comes to wintering passerines like vireos, warblers, tanagers, and flycatchers.

Wakodahatchee Wetlands and Green Cay Wetlands in Palm Beach are also gorgeous and provide easy birding.

I would not recommend birding the keys at all. They are wonderful migrant traps but do not hold many birds in the winter season. It will be very slow.

Hope this helps,
Old Saturday 15th August 2015, 21:41   #3
TwitchEd

Many thanks Carlos. Most helpful.

What about Key Biscayne?
Old Tuesday 25th August 2015, 22:15   #4
csanchez7

Key Biscayne's Crandon Park can be great for shorebirds, but late winter birding for warbler and passerines is better on the mainland parks than Bill Baggs. It's more of a migrant trap.
Old Monday 30th November 2015, 05:34   #5
AGPank

How is the Oleta Park? I know it's a very large park. I've seen osprey from the intracostal side. I used to live close, but wasn't watching birds at the time
Old Wednesday 2nd December 2015, 02:30   #6
csanchez7

Oleta should be decent.

Honestly, any patch of native trees in Miami in winter can potentially have mixed feeding flocks of warblers, vireos, gnatcatchers, etc. Go out and explore! The tiny parks with just a few clumps of native trees near my house had Black-throated Blue, Black-throated Green, Magnolia, Yellow, Prairie, Black-and-white, Northern Parula, Palm, American Redstart, Blue-headed and Yellow-throated Vireo, Baltimore Oriole...just yesterday...even unassuming places can have birds if you look.
Old Wednesday 2nd December 2015, 03:35   #7
AGPank

That's true, on my 5 mile drive to work yesterday I saw cattle egret, great egret, black vultures, and often a burrowing owl.
Old Thursday 17th December 2015, 23:04   #8
Pauhana

Carlos is steering you right. Would suggest keeping eye on e-bird while there. Never know what will pop up.

“Sometimes I arrive just when God's ready to have somone click the shutter.”
― Ansel Adams
Old Monday 21st December 2015, 16:35   #9
snowyowl

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada and Central Florida, USA
Don't forget Shark Valley. We spent three nights in the everglades last year and wished for more time. There are some pretty good boat rides out of Flamingo and Everglades City. You can see American Crocodiles at Flamingo.

Last edited by snowyowl : Monday 21st December 2015 at 16:40.
Old Monday 4th April 2016, 11:14   #10
John Fordham

Quote:
Originally Posted by csanchez7 View Post
I also would recommend spending a day birding around Miami. Yes, it is a big city. Yes, there is traffic. But the species diversity in winter in areas such as Matheson Hammock County Park, the C-357 Sparrow Fields, Cutler Wetlands, and A.D. Barnes Park often exceeds the park itself -- especially when it comes to wintering passerines like vireos, warblers, tanagers, and flycatchers.
Just to say that the C-357 Sparow Fields no longer seem to exist. It's a construction site and they wouldn't allow me to enter when I was there recently

Cheers
John
Old Monday 4th April 2016, 11:19   #11
TwitchEd

Thanks John.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: