Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Florida Early August

Old Monday 11th July 2016, 23:48   #1
TRT45

Florida Early August

I'm helping my wife drive to Fort Myers in early August - she's having some specialized dog training done - and I'll have a 2 - 3 days to bird. I'd really appreciate any assistance you folks can give me. My target species are: Snail Kite, Short-tailed Hawk, and Florida Scrub Jay (and Mangrove Cuckoo, but I know that's not gonna happen...). If these can be found on public land that would be great, as with my limited time I don't want to be getting lost in residential neighborhoods. Only birded Florida once before, in 1978, and I'm sure it's way different now.

About exotics in Miami, I ran across some online posts, and it looks like it's worth the drive. Any places to avoid for personal safety? Sorry, I've probably watched too much "Miami Vice"...

Again, any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Tuesday 12th July 2016, 13:59   #2
KHamblett

You may want to check out ebird to research hotspots in the area and species map.
Old Wednesday 13th July 2016, 00:07   #3
TRT45

Thanks, good idea - I'd forgotten about eBird - most of my birding now is guided international.
Old Thursday 14th July 2016, 22:59   #4
Pauhana

Snail kite. Harns marsh is a good place to start
Scrub jay. Oscar Scherer SP Used to be go to place on blue trail I think. Understand numbers of birds are down
Mangrove cuckoo Good luck

For Miami would check with member csanchez7. Carlos knows Miami and I believes he also guides. I have never met him but hear nothing but good things from other birders. Might shoot him a note

There was mangrove cuckoos at black point marina in Miami but don't know if still around

In August be sure to carry bug repellent, sunscreen and water. August is a brutal hot humid time of year

Randy

“Sometimes I arrive just when God's ready to have somone click the shutter.”
― Ansel Adams
Old Sunday 17th July 2016, 02:04   #5
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Mitred Parakeet and Yellow-chevroned Parakeet are relatively common around Dadeland Mall in the Kendall area of Miami. Red-whiskered Bulbuls are found in the residential area a few miles to the west of there along Kendall Drive, just north of a major hospital complex (Baptist Hospital if I recall correctly). Streak-backed Oriole should be found centrally in the University of Miami Campus.

I had the Scrub Jay in May of last year at the Oscar Scherer SP (closer to St Petersburg and Tampa than to Miami).

Niels

Just moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 17th July 2016, 02:57   #6
njlarsen
Opus Editor

One more exotic I remembered: Nanday Parakeet in the St Petersburg area, including the park called Fort DeSoto

Niels

Just moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 17th July 2016, 20:09   #7
csanchez7

Niels:

Spot-breasted Oriole has not been present at the University of Miami for several years now...
Old Sunday 17th July 2016, 21:01   #8
Xenospiza
Undescribed

I saw Florida Scrub Jay at the Prairie/Shell Creek Preserve, Punta Gorda (access off Duncan Road, opposite Balsam Boulevard) in December. This is probably the closest to Fort Meyers they occur? Just a few birds though.

I saw a few Spot-breasted Orioles in Markham Park (in scrub just west of the entrance) in Fort Lauderdale (while I looking for more interesting birds).

Last edited by Xenospiza : Sunday 17th July 2016 at 21:07.
Old Wednesday 20th July 2016, 19:33   #9
TRT45

Thanks to all of you for your information and suggestions! Much appreciated. I got a PM from Carlos and we are going to do a day birding in and around Miami. For Ft. Myers and area I'm on my own, and I will try out the leads you folks passed on. Again, thanks.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: