• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your car binocular??? (1 Viewer)

The "classic" Zen-Ray ED3 8×43 lives next to me on the passenger seat under a newspaper (though somewhat luxuriously on a full leather seat), and has been there permanently for a good ~6 years now - it has had several high speed adventures into the passenger footwell during emergency stops - all good.

It has no objective covers and I don't bother putting the eyepiece covers on (unless I am caught out in a rain shower). Somewhat of a "beater bin", even though it is my only bino. Outside temperatures range from -3°C to 47°C plus solar radiation on a black car, so gawd only knows what temperature swings it goes through inside the car.

May I suggest that if you think performance has dropped off since new originally - to blow the dust etc off the objectives and eyepieces and give them all a good 'gentle' clean with lens solution and some appropriate scratch and lint free cloth/paper ..... that's all mine ever get to bring them back - good as gold ! :t: :D

I suppose now that the Zen's are "classics" I may have to dig out the bin bag and give them more security and padding in the glovebox to save all the high speed impacts - that's certainly how I would treat better bins ...... :) :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Why not just leave them in the footwell, with a long strap attached so you can fish them out quickly?
I do remember an anecdote from Bill Cook, how a binocular fell off the bridge of the ship he was on, bounced down two decks and was entirely unharmed, while a similar one was knocked silly falling over on the mess table.
This glass serves you well, you should treat it correspondingly.

Why not just leave them in the footwell, with a long strap attached so you can fish them out quickly?
I do remember an anecdote from Bill Cook, how a binocular fell off the bridge of the ship he was on, bounced down two decks and was entirely unharmed, while a similar one was knocked silly falling over on the mess table.
This glass serves you well, you should treat it correspondingly.
Not a bad suggestion - the problem comes with a severe back injury which makes bending and twisting impossibly risky if the strap falls down. But yes, you are right, I should devise a better method of securing the strap within reach so they can sit suitably padded in the footwell.

The seat insulates them well in general from regular road shock, but they have had a couple of heavy impacts flying off the seat - more than the equivalent of a 6ft drop - so that should give some idea and reassurance of their toughness.

I will get it done sooner rather than later :t:

.... But yes, you are right, I should devise a better method of securing the strap within reach so they can sit suitably padded in the footwell.

I will get it done sooner rather than later :t:

OK - done :t:

The neckpad loops around the passenger seat belt latch and tucks down between the seats pretty well hidden - the bins sit on a pillow in the footwell with a newspaper on top - a little bit of a hassle - but no more flying bins ! :)

I'm pretty sure a thief wouldn't give this much notice were it sitting on a car seat.

Attachments

• stealthbinocase.JPG
    stealthbinocase.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 17
I was keeping a Nikon Travelite reverse porro in the motor; however, i lent them to my son for his 14-month trip all over South America. They've now seen service in the High Andes for condors, been out on the Galapagos, all through Columbia, Brazil, Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay and Ecuador, finishing up in Mexico and New York. Haven't got them back yet, but they've survived it intact. Looking forward to the tales they'll tell, and their yawning boredom as I stop in a lay-by on a local road to check out a gull flock....

In my car it's a Maven B3 8x30. In my wife's car either Sightron 8x32 or Cabela's Guide 8x32. I am in her car much less than my own, so I swap out the Sightron and Cabela's regularly because I enjoy using both of them and the backup binocular in that car sees very little light.

Where I live the temps are rarely very extreme. The Fujinon Meibo 7x50 was my astronomy car binocular for more than a decade and suffered no ill effect.

In my car it's a Maven B3 8x30. In my wife's car either Sightron 8x32 or Cabela's Guide 8x32. I am in her car much less than my own, so I swap out the Sightron and Cabela's regularly because I enjoy using both of them and the backup binocular in that car sees very little light.

Where I live the temps are rarely very extreme. The Fujinon Meibo 7x50 was my astronomy car binocular for more than a decade and suffered no ill effect.

Cabelas Guide 8x32

I like your choices!

Thanks All,

I was wondering if I would see some posts regarding a binocular daily riding in a vehicle and ultimate destruction & damage from vibration, jolt, heat, and cold - but it appears this isn't so and some of you have even reported the opposite and there can be long term life for a binocular under these conditions.

I am not yet up to leaving a $500 binocular in a vehicle 24/7 but will certainly be upgrading from my $40 reverse porro. The kids lunch box is a great idea if concealment is not an option.

Interesting that the Sightron could be had at $169 before the new year and has now jumped in price to $209 ... this is becoming commodities pricing.

CG

Thanks All,

I was wondering if I would see some posts regarding a binocular daily riding in a vehicle and ultimate destruction & damage from vibration, jolt, heat, and cold - but it appears this isn't so and some of you have even reported the opposite and there can be long term life for a binocular under these conditions.

I am not yet up to leaving a $500 binocular in a vehicle 24/7 but will certainly be upgrading from my $40 reverse porro. The kids lunch box is a great idea if concealment is not an option.

Interesting that the Sightron could be had at $169 before the new year and has now jumped in price to $209 ... this is becoming commodities pricing.

CG

https://www.ebay.com/p/Sightron-SII...5%26rvr_ts%3D29c02b6d1680ac1f9265d33cffc38498

Make an offer. You might get them for $150!

Make an offer. You might get them for $150!

I only ebay as a last resort. Long story; and don't want to go there.

Did hear they have to start collecting sales tax as of Jan 1. So far this applies to something like six states - but likely a sign of times to come for all.

CG

I live in Texas where temperatures are extremely hot during summer. I have found most of my binoculars that have been destroyed have been the ones I leave in the car, likely from the temp. That said, I've only left cheap binoculars in vehicles as I don't have the stomach to leave my nice ones and don't think I ever will. If I'm just throwing an optic in the car I go with my cheap Vortex Crossfire 8x42 (due to their awesome warranty). If I need to save space my Zeiss Terra ED 8x32. If I know I'm going to be using the optic for something (hunting a specific birding trip) I'll usually take a nicer one, I have more options then. I have begun taking them out at home as I'm tired of replacing them and purchased the Vortex for warranty, old ones were Bushnell.

In my case (I'm sure I won't be the only one) the car binocular has been changing, usually upgrading, as new and better binoculars got home. So it was a tiny Minox 8x25 (still there, in good condition despite the temperature changes), then an Opticron Discovery 8x32 which happened to be quite faulty (to the point that it wasn't even good as a car binocular anymore), and over the last months a Kowa YF 8x30. I'm really happy with this one; quite inexpensive (and easily replaceable if needed) and the optical quality leaves me satisfied :)

I've also had good binoculars stolen (a very nice Pentax some years ago), so I won't risk leaving there more than I care to replace; the +-100 € of the Kowa/Leupold Yosemite/Vortex Raptor seems a nice compromise. I've seen the twin by Eagle Optics (Kingbird) recently for around 40 $ on Amazon. So maybe worth considering if someone is so inclined.

Last edited:
If you buy with PayPal you have a money back guarantee. They’re new.

Upland,

I'm very familiar with ebay to the tune of about four hundred 100% positive transactions as both a seller and buyer starting from way back in the 90's when us grassroots guys were making it happen, but currently have them in the penalty box and not willing to let them out anytime soon. Will gladly pay the additional $40 to another retailer if need be.

CG

Upland,

I'm very familiar with ebay to the tune of about four hundred 100% positive transactions as both a seller and buyer starting from way back in the 90's when us grassroots guys were making it happen, but currently have them in the penalty box and not willing to let them out anytime soon. Will gladly pay the additional $40 to another retailer if need be.

CG

Your choice but both eBay and PayPal have money back guarantees.

Thanks, fazalmajid. That's a solid explanation. I'm familiar with the dientsglas designation. If someone can confirm the DF designation, I'd appreciate it.

I always thought it stands for "Doppelfernrohr" - double telescope or so.

OT: a Nikon Traveller 8x25 reverse porro (indeed a good old friend of mine....).

Greetings from Germany

I always thought it stands for "Doppelfernrohr" - double telescope or so.

Sorry, I did overlook the question for the DF designation... Doppelfernrohr is correct, as is the verbatim translation... the term is kind of unusual even in german.

Joachim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back